• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Text Boxes on single slide not returning even close variable length

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three text entry boxes on one slide, with one single button to "Submit Answers". On submit answer the variable is assigned to return the specified values on the next slide in three separate text captions where in addition to the learner's answers, rationale and correct answers are provided. For example, text entry box one is assigned Var_1 and is supposed(?) to return a maximum of 250 characters to $$Var_1$$ on slide following. Same with Var_2 and Var_3 (except Var_3 is numeric, and only one number allowed - not really an issue. (Each of the two variables in question have their own text caption capture on the next slide.) However, if I were to respond (for example) in text entry box one (Var_1) with "it is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country" and in text entry box two (Var_1) the same, the values returned on the next slide are "it is time for all good men to come to the aid of their". There are no advanced actions, and one button that is assigned to go to the next slide.

The MOST Variable return is 64 characters.

There are a total of 90 slides that represent 10 separate lessons, each lesson with 4 slides that contain three to four variables, each returned on the following respective slides(s) or 40 assigned variables, 30 of which are given a max character length of 250. 

Not one of those variables returns even 70 characters. I've been reading all I can over the last couple of days, prepared test lessons to mimic but no values adhere to the character limit set.

Anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

I think you may find that the issue you are dealing with here is the limitation on the display field, not so much the limitation on how many characters can be stored in a User Variable.  (There are definitely limits on what you can store in a typical Captivate user variables, but it's bigger than 64 characters.)

Try using the Scrolling Text Interaction to display the variable value on the second slide.   I think you will find it gives you a much bigger amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Totally agree with Rod, I do use the Scrolling Text interaction a lot to replace even a TEB, certainly when no validation is needed. Maybe some more explanations:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/scrolling-text-interaction-to-replace-text-entry-box

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

That worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

The Scrolling Text learning interaction inserted via the Interactions button > Learning Interactions IS compliant with HTML5. 

When I suggested it to you yesterday I did a quick test before posting by creating a two-slide project with just a Text Entry Box on the first slide and the Scrolling Text interaction on the second.  I tested by publishing to HTML5 to confirm it worked.

So, did you insert this Scrolling Text Interaction by using the Interaction button, or did you insert one of the ol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may find that the issue you are dealing with here is the limitation on the display field, not so much the limitation on how many characters can be stored in a User Variable.  (There are definitely limits on what you can store in a typical Captivate user variables, but it's bigger than 64 characters.)

Try using the Scrolling Text Interaction to display the variable value on the second slide.   I think you will find it gives you a much bigger amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the slide review looks good but on publish (HTML5) the scrolling text is not supported. Back to square one. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Rod, I do use the Scrolling Text interaction a lot to replace even a TEB, certainly when no validation is needed. Maybe some more explanations:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/scrolling-text-interaction-to-replace-text-entry-box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lily, the blog makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked Rob as well, about any suggestions, but I should have known the scrolling text isn't supported by HTML5. I'm back to the beginning and have no idea what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Scrolling Text learning interaction inserted via the Interactions button > Learning Interactions IS compliant with HTML5. 

When I suggested it to you yesterday I did a quick test before posting by creating a two-slide project with just a Text Entry Box on the first slide and the Scrolling Text interaction on the second.  I tested by publishing to HTML5 to confirm it worked.

So, did you insert this Scrolling Text Interaction by using the Interaction button, or did you insert one of the older SWF widgets via the Insert > Widget menu option?  If the latter, then that's where you went wrong.  There are two sets of widgets that ship with Captivate, and only the ones that you find on the Learning Interactions dialog will work with HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nailed it! Thank you very much!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I always publish to HTML5. The tutorial in that blog was published to HTML5. Who tells you that it is not supported for HTML5 output when you have proof that it does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources