Highlighted

Mutli-state feedback - won't play unique audio for each state

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

The home page (home to four branches) for this module has a speech bubble that changes states as each branch is successfully completed. I have audio that accompanies the speech in the bubble. The problem is that I can't get these audio files to play when the text changes. I've tried two approaches: dropping them into each of the states and writing it into the advanced interaction that changes the speech bubble. Neither work. The weird thing is that it works when I view 'next 5 slides' but not for the full module.  

Help!

A little info on how this is programmed:

There are four branches that make up the modules. Once all four are completed, a final review button appears. To make this happen, I need to  assign 1 to each distinct submodule and count on entry to the home slide. When all 4 submodules have 1 or greater, then the script on the home page plays audio that says ' complete the final review' and it shows the final review button that was previously hidden. This part works well.

The speech bubble (4 different states) on the home page changes each time the user returns to complete another submodule. These state changes are tied to another script used with quiz slides. On success, the user jumps back to the home page, it changes the state of the feedback bubble, and it assigns 1 so that the homepage script knows when to show the final review button. This is where I can't get the unique audio for each speech bubble to play when I view the whole module.

There are some limitations to what I can do. The solution needs to be dynamic since the final module will always have to say and show the same thing, no matter which order they complete all 4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mutli-state feedback - won't play unique audio for each state

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

The home page (home to four branches) for this module has a speech bubble that changes states as each branch is successfully completed. I have audio that accompanies the speech in the bubble. The problem is that I can't get these audio files to play when the text changes. I've tried two approaches: dropping them into each of the states and writing it into the advanced interaction that changes the speech bubble. Neither work. The weird thing is that it works when I view 'next 5 slides' but not for the full module.  

Help!

A little info on how this is programmed:

There are four branches that make up the modules. Once all four are completed, a final review button appears. To make this happen, I need to  assign 1 to each distinct submodule and count on entry to the home slide. When all 4 submodules have 1 or greater, then the script on the home page plays audio that says ' complete the final review' and it shows the final review button that was previously hidden. This part works well.

The speech bubble (4 different states) on the home page changes each time the user returns to complete another submodule. These state changes are tied to another script used with quiz slides. On success, the user jumps back to the home page, it changes the state of the feedback bubble, and it assigns 1 so that the homepage script knows when to show the final review button. This is where I can't get the unique audio for each speech bubble to play when I view the whole module.

There are some limitations to what I can do. The solution needs to be dynamic since the final module will always have to say and show the same thing, no matter which order they complete all 4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only text cannot explain what the origin is of your problems. Don't even know if you are using CP9 or CP2017?

I am puzzled by some of your sentences

1. You use a counter to check if all chapters have been visited, that will work only if the sequence is imposed and a chapter cannot be visited multiple times, is that the case?
  2. Script used on quiz slides to change the state on the dashboard? Can you please explain and post a preview of that script, and the way it is triggered?
  3. Is this a responsive or a non-responsive project? If it is a non-responsive project, and you want to publish to HTML the only real preview is F11 - Preview HTML in Browser. Even in that case it is possible that you don't see all functionality. To test fully you have to publish and upload to a LMS (like SCORM Cloud) since you have a quiz. The Preview methods you mentioned use SWF temporary output for a non-responsive project.

I never had problems with attaching audio to states, as you can see in this movie:

Automatic Lists

The lists with audio are built with one multistate object where audio is attached to the states.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

More info: Cp 2017, non-responsive, LMS doesn't support SWF. Here's a breakdown of the two different scripts/triggers. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again. Time to see how you can  see a Preview of an advanced action, because you only posted the THEN part of that On Enter action. I see that it has 2 decisions before that third one. Have a look at:

Advanced Actions Dialog box in Captivate 2017 - Captivate blog

Preview button is the first button in the top right control panel.

I see that you are not using a counter, but individual variables. That is indeed the correct way, your mentioning a counter was misleading. For debugging, did you insert the booleans in a text container to check their value? I suspect yes, beause you say that it works excpet for the audio. How did you test? For HTML output in a non-responsive project the only Preview method that is close to output is F11, Preview HTML in output.  Of course, the best way is always after publishing and uploading to a LMS or webserver.

You are sure that the audio clips do play in Captivate, when using Play Audio, without an advanced action? Just to exclude something is wrong with the audio.  What happens if you attach the audio to a state, and insert a button on the dahboard to change to that state, is the audio playing in that case? I am just wondering, because you change the state from another slide, and there is a rather complicated action On Enter for the dashboard if that is causing a conflict,  You could try to have a Delay action, and use Play audio little bit afther changing the state?

What happens if question is answered wronglY?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0