Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Naive question....

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I just want to confirm as i never really know the answer to this but if i want to upload some simple animated video footage which includes only a few pause buttons do i need to upload to Moodle as a Scorm package?

I want to be able to see which users have accessed the videos and ideally if they have watched them all the way through but that's it...

Thank you!

Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

One of the problems you may encounter is that you cannot overlay a Captivate object over a video nor an animation because those will always be on top of the stack. That can be changed with JS, but then you'll lose alll interactivity in the animation. A video is per definition passive.

Whereas with an Interactive video you can have overlay content slides and KC slides as I showed in that article.

Captivate works very nicely with Photoshop (roundtripping), with Audition, PhoneGap etc but if you star

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know what you mean by "animated video footage which includes only a few pause buttons"

If you need reporting about views, you do need a LMS. Moodle is a LMS that can take care of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  I've got a simple video (which just happens to be animated) and screens inbetween each video where i would like the student to click a button to 'Pause' the video.

I''m happy with Moodle.  My question is to ensure my captivate project is interactive (user can click a button on screen to pause rather than a playbar pause button) do i need to save my project as Scorm for Moodle?  If i don't what to i save it as to make it interactive? (as in the button work as a button?)

Hope that explains a bit better?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim, it is a terminology problem which confuses me. In Captivate an animation can be an animated GIF, a HTML5 animation or a SWF. They are treated in a totally different ways as videos. A video (mp4) can be added as event video or as slide video, which could be distributed over multiple slides. I told that the first one is not controlled by Captivate but has its own control panel, the second type can be controlled by Captivate, and that is where you probably added the Play/Pause buttons. BTW have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-play-slash-pause-button-version-cp2019

You will not only see the workflow to create such a button, but also also get a link to an 'interactive video' which is a new feature in CP2019. An interactive video has some limited ways of interaction like hotspots, bookmarks but a real interactive project, as you can create with Captivate is a lot more than just pausing, playing, clicking hotspots. It gives control to the learner, leads to branching eventually based on choices or on results of assessment, can have a final test, gives feedback etc.. That is the 'real' interactivity.

I will answer your question about LMS in another answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I have a series of animations which i have saved as individual mp4 files and placed into Captivate. Inbetween these videos are information screens which automatically pause until the user clicks play...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which application did you use to create those animations? Converting to a mp4 may be unnecessary, each converting action leads to loss of quality.

Are you on CP2019? Why not use an interactive video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an online application called Vyond to create my animations. sorry my previous post with URL links was declined by the administrators... yes I'm working on CP2019 X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? Would it bot be wise to learn Captivate really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's very different. Vyond creates full animations - moving people / transport etc.... I normally then add these illustrations into Captivate and overlay user interactivity that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the problems you may encounter is that you cannot overlay a Captivate object over a video nor an animation because those will always be on top of the stack. That can be changed with JS, but then you'll lose alll interactivity in the animation. A video is per definition passive.

Whereas with an Interactive video you can have overlay content slides and KC slides as I showed in that article.

Captivate works very nicely with Photoshop (roundtripping), with Audition, PhoneGap etc but if you start trying to embed items created with third party apps you may stubmle on many issues. That is the reason I talked about learning to use Captivate properly. A lot is possible with the included effects, you can use animated GIF's, OAM's etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I guess I would compare Vyond to something like Adobe Animate and After Effects just without all the indepth technical know how 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need to remember that on average an MP4 video will be about 5-10 times the filesize of an equivalent animation done in Animate as an OAM that you can import into Captivate.  So weigh carefully the option you choose if speed of download and playback is important to your clients and end users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rob.  I didn't actually know this but it does make sense.  I'm using Vyond as its very easy and quick to produce animations which helps when i need a very quick turnaround.  I will keep in mind your advice tho.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although any LMS is SCORM compatible, they can act in totally different ways. Some do accept a non-SCORM package to upload, some don't.  I never used Moodle, am not aware if it accepts such a package.

To be on the safe side with Moodle you should create a SCO which is a SCORM-compliant file. That is done in Captivate by setting up the Reporting under Quiz Preferences. You don't need a Quiz, the Reporting and passing can be based simply on Slide Visits. When you publish with that setup, you'll end up automatically with a zipped folder which has not only the Captivate necessary files, but also those for SCORM. When uploaded to Moodle it will be recognized as a 'SCO' and Moodle will launch that course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources