Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigation Through Quiz Slides

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm wondering if someone has a solution for me. I would like for my course to be something that people can revisit later to review the information in the course, but the quiz slides are giving me trouble. Once the maximum number of attempts have been met or the question is answered correctly, the trainee is not be able to get past the quiz slides upon revisiting the course for a second time.

There are a couple of items of note:

• Our organization does not want trainees to be able to move past quiz slides without answering in their first attempt of the course.
    • I have Captivate set up so that the navigation bar is not visible on quiz slides to avoid trainees skipping questions.
  • Our organization does not want trainees to view the Quiz Results slide.
    • I have just been navigating trainees around this slide, but leaving it in the project.

I thought that the solution was the "Review Mode Navigation Buttons", but upon leaving the course in our LMS and then returning to the course, these buttons do not appear.

Here are some of the quiz settings that I have:

• "Review Mode Navigation Buttons" is selected.
  • "Allow Backward Movement" is selected.
  • "Allow User to Review the Quiz" is selected.
  • "Hide Playbar in Quiz" is selected.

I'm sure there's something simple that I'm missing.

Thank you,

Meghan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would something like this work...?

Have a variable that is set when the learner successfully completes their first run through. For example, you might have varFirstRun=1 and upon meeting all the requirements and hitting the last slide assign  varFirstRun=0

Then you can have your own custom secondary navigation unlock with a variable check.

if varFirstRun=0 then 'do X'  else  'do Y'

I have done this on projects where the first run had to be done the "admin way" and then the learner was able to revisit any sections that they chose in whatever order they want at a later date. Your secondary navigation would allow users to bypass quiz slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StagPrime: Maybe I misunderstand the question of course, but the solution with a user variable will not help if it is indeed 'when revisiting the course' which is leading to the problems. Moreover within one session I would prefer to use the system variable cpQuizInfoAttempts over a user variable, always prefer easier solutions. Often wonder what is wrong with the KISS principle

@Meghan: I am a bit astonished that the Review navigation buttons disappear when you revisit the course. Could you test something? Add a text container with the quizzing system variable cpInReviewMode to the first quiz slide: it is a Boolean variable, should show 1 when you are in Review mode. Does it keep that value when reopening the course, and bookmarking is activated for the LMS?

Another question: what is the chosen setting in the field 'Required' for the quiz?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the module has been successfully completed by the learner, maybe the completion status is being reset by the LMS and that means the LMS considers relaunching the module as a new attempt, in which case the cpInReviewMode variable would be again initialized as OFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Rod, have not that much experience with a lot of LMS's like you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't see any mention in the original post about LMS Resume Data bookmarking being turned on, so I was assuming it must be OFF and each time the module is launched the LMS is just registering a new attempt.

Many LMSs haven't fully implemented the SCORM ability to view a module without it being regarded as a For Credit attempt.  (Sometimes referred to by the LMS world as Browse Mode, Preview Mode or Review Mode but not to be confused with Captivate's own Review Mode.) 

See the info at the bottom of this page under the last heading called: Entry Mode and Credit

https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/run-time/

The Review Mode navigation (in Captivate) buttons will only appear if your learners reach the Quiz Results slide and click the Review Quiz button during that same user session.  That's unlikely to happen if you have set the course so that the Quiz Results slide is hidden, or the learners never get to see it due to the way the navigation is set up.

If you don't want to force the learners to do the quiz questions on their first attempt, you can set the Quiz > Settings > Required dropdown to Optional and leave the Skip/Next buttons showing on all quiz slides.  Then the learners can just click the Skip/Next buttons to jump past any questions they don't want to answer.  However, if you want any of the questions that the learner DID attempt to be remembered by the LMS when the come back to resume, then you're going to need to turn on Resume Data Bookmarking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources