Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to Create a Menu with Conditional Logic

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Captivate and this forum so my apologies if this question is basic.

I need to create a menu for users to make selections from. I need to create two separate columns/groups of options. Users would select an option or options from each column/group. I would like some selections in column/group A to preclude the user from selecting some selections in column/group B. I.e. if a user selects option 1 from column/group A, then the user would not be able to select option 1 from column/group B (just as an example). Ideally there would be a visual cue that the user could no longer select a particular option (like "graying out" the selection).

Is this possible in Captivate? Any ideas how I would begin?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice!

Best,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory yes, you could do this in Captivate, but Captivate's default Table of Contents is not going to be able to do any of this for you.

What you will need to do is build an interface (with the appearance you have described) on one of the opening slides of your project and then use User Variables and Conditional Advanced Actions to control what you want to happen (e.g. hiding and showing or enabling and disabling certain options on the menu slide).

But the first thing you need to do is create a detailed design document that spells out all of the decisions that need to be made etc.  Unless you have a VERY clear idea of what needs to happen, you will likely fail to achieve an end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you RodWard,

This definitely got me started in the right direction. For those who might be interested, I was successful in creating a bare bones version of this logic using 2 buttons (button 1 and button 2) in which I created a variable (vcounter) with a default value of 0. I then created an Advanced Action and tied it to button 1:

1st decision: "IF 1 = 1" then increment vcounter by 1.

2nd: "IF vcounter = 1 then disable button 2.

3rd: "IF vcounter = 2 then enable button 2 AND decrement vcounter by 2"

This makes it so that pressing button 1 the first time will increase the value of the variable by one and disable button 2. Pressing it a second time increases the value of the variable by 1 to 2 which both enables button 2 and decreases the value of the variable back to 0 which repeats the behavior in a loop that looks like turning button 2 on and off by pressing button 1.

Obviously I'll have to create as many versions of this Advanced Action as there are dependencies and tie them to each selection (E.G. if I want button 2 to behave the same way vis a vis button 1, I'll have to apply the same advanced action and swap out button 1 for button 2 in the decisions), but it seems like the simplest solution to my problem.

Cheers!

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be careful: counter and increment may not be the best solution: although it works with two buttons.

THnk also about using shared actions instead of advanced actions.  You will have to consider all possible situations. As for the visual cue, use the Visted state of the buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources