Exit

Need To Create a "Play/Pause" button in Captivate 2019

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I have the latest version of Captivate.
I need to create a single button that plays and pauses the current slide.

The information I am finding online is for older versions, and I can't get those tutorials to work properly.

Here is what I need to happen: The Play/Pause button itself should start off in the "Pause" state, because the slide itself will begin playing automatically. When the user clicks this pause button, the image of the button changes to a "play" button and pauses the video. When the user clicks the "play" button, the image of the button changes to the "pause" icon once again and the video resumes playing, this play/pause cycle can happen an infinite number of times.

I know how to create button states, and I've done some work creating advanced actions. 

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thank you for any help!

TOPICS
Advanced , Audio and video , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please search in my blog for Custom Play/pause button,. There is even a link to an interactive video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,
Thank you for responding. 

I'm in your about page ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/7937458), but the user interface does not provide a way to search within your blog posts.
(I can only search among ALL forum posts)
Can you send me a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Belgium; sent you a quick answer after midnight but didn't see your answer. Since you had been telling that you couldn't find a tutorial, bit astonished that you cannot find my blog site which pops normally up whenever you search. Link is also in my profile.

Here is the direct link to the most recent version (CP2019) of the custom Play/pause tutorial:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-play-slash-pause-button-version-cp2019

Beware: you need to understand fully what can be paused and not, hope you do master the Timeline fully:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/pausing-captivates-timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,
Thank you again for responding - After watching the interactive video, I believe i can get this too work.

The project I need this for is a responsive one, and there are only four slides that need this play/pause capability.

The key difference with your video is in the advanced actions set up scree. I another video (for an older version of Captivate), the script was quite different, and would not work.

I should be able to go through the video again side-by-side with my Captivate project later today. I'll let you know how that goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tend to disagree. Even the blog post I wrote about the same topic many years ago would still work. In the more recent one I took advantage of multistate objectts, and some new commands in the Advanced Actions which didn't exist in old versions, where you needed to use system variables for the same result.

The dialog box has been renewed with CP2017. The only important adding was the Looping with the While condition. Problem with videos is often that hey do rarely explain reasons for choices or for scripts. I will never do that...

For a responsive project with Flluid Boxes (not with Breakpoint views which have less limitations) you need to be aware of the fact that you cannot put that button on the Main master slide, nor timed for the rest of the project. You cannot stack it with other objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,
I wasn't intending to say that your video tutorial was the one that did not work for me - that video was from another creator.

the video I am using now fromyou is the only video I have seen of yours.

Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You misunderstood or I explained badly. I almost never create passive video tutorials, even the one you watches was an interactive video. But I have blogged since 10 years, and a blog is not 'aging' that quickly, as most videos do. Reason: I always explain the 'why' of the workflows, and most videos never do (lot of them take part of my blog, or from another expert blog and quickly record the workflow without reflecting). This blog is very old (2011)  but the same workflow will still work on present versions, although not using more recent features:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-playpause-button-in-captivate

Do not limit your searches to YouTube videos... not always the best place since there is no curation at all. Good videos (some outdated) but also lot of ... waste of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources