• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to provide alternate course versions--how to produce?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have about 30 courses for a complex software product. We have baseline versions, but need to produce individualized courses that include client modifications. We use conditional text tags in the FrameMaker files for our user manuals and I would like to do something similar with Captivate, but so far can't find anything that references a similar feature in Captivate. Is it possible to use conditional text as in FM, or will we need to duplicate the project and edit it for client modifications?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that comes to mind is a conditional action that decides which elements to display.

At course launch variable value is set either by the user or within the course code (perhaps using location or just coded by you for that client version).

Every slide tests the variable to see which elements to display or hide. Or states to show. Or entire slides to show.

Is this the direction you are thinking of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems like the direction we would like to go. I'll investigate. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note the key word is that you test the condition on each slide unlike Frame where you set the conditional indicator for the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever have a look at the CpExtra widget by InfoSemantics? It has some features that could be usefule.

Anyhow I would prefer multistate objects over show/hide workflow because it saves a lot of time compared with the older show/hide worfklow. I have proved that several times on my blog.

If you need a conditional action on each slide (you can change states on all slides at once as well), choose for a shared action, not duplicate advanced actions which could lead to choking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources