Highlighted

New branching slide asset

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm excited Adobe has made branching easier in the latest update. This is a great feature, however, I noticed there are a lot of limitations to this when using the asset slide.

For example:

• I have to have a quiz as the last section,
  • I can't restrict the order in which the user clicks on each topic
  • I have to title some slides a specific name

With this new "branching" asset, does this mean we can now somehow access the names of slide groups? If not, any ideas on how to change some of this built-in functionality?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New branching slide asset

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm excited Adobe has made branching easier in the latest update. This is a great feature, however, I noticed there are a lot of limitations to this when using the asset slide.

For example:

• I have to have a quiz as the last section,
  • I can't restrict the order in which the user clicks on each topic
  • I have to title some slides a specific name

With this new "branching" asset, does this mean we can now somehow access the names of slide groups? If not, any ideas on how to change some of this built-in functionality?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video tutorial might address some of your concerns. https://youtu.be/aow6VBRT6z8

Easy Custom Table of Contents (Branching) in Captivate 2019 Update 2 - YouTube

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course an InBuilt workflow like this has its limitations (will never use it personally but that is off topic).

However you do NOT need to have a quiz, that is optional.

The setup addresses the workflow which is often asked for, with free choice of sequence for the learner.

If you want to impose the sequence, a custom setup is a lot easier.  May have a blog somewhere which explains that workflow. The new Branching workflow will not do this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul_Wilson - That's a great instructional video, but it shows all the issues I mentioned in my first post.

Lilybiri - I see how I don't have to have a quiz. I suppose I could make it a summary section if I wanted to. I know I could do a custom sequence, but was hoping for the ease and speed of this new asset.

If there was a way to use a slide group name in Advanced Actions, that would be helpful. I was hoping maybe that was added to this update. To be able to show/hide a group until certain criteria were met would be very helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use groups in advanced and shared actions. Depends which command you want to use. You cannot navigate to a group, same as in a TOC. One of my first shared actions describedin my blog was to show one item out of a group with two commands:

• Hide groups
  • Show item

This shared action with 2 parameters works whatever the type of items in the group or the number of items.

Just regret that you cannot:

• disablle/enable a group of buttons
  • Change state of all  items in a group to Normal or to another state where they all have the same state name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you certainly have to label the slides and group a certain way but the slide label isn't shown to the learner unless you want to show it through the system variable for slide label. You can place a title on the slide that calls the slide whatever you want. You can also edit the table of contents to read the same. No, you can't restrict the order but you still have the ability to do that with advanced actions. I still feel this is a welcome addition. I would use it if I was collaborating with other developers who may not have the experience that I have with advanced actions and we wanted a simple workflow.

Rod ward has a great video tutorial on how to achieve this workflow through the more traditional method of using advanced actions. As you can see from this video there is much more control over how things work.

Even More Complex Dynamic Menu Slides in Adobe Captivate - YouTube

If you want a simple solution it will often only offer a single set of parameters, the more complex will give you greater flexibility but the cost is more time developing that solution.

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0