• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Next Slide and Previous Slide Buttons

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginning Captivate user, so bear with my basic questions.  I want to insert "Continue" and "Previous Slide" buttons on each slide to give user the capability to go to next slide or back to previous slide.  I would also like to give them the ability to replay the same slide.  I selected the corresponding "Go to the next slide" and "Go to the previous slide" options in the On Success: field, and put the Continue and Previous Slide buttons both at the end of the Timeline, one layer on top of the other.  When I preview the slide and click on the "Previous Slide" button, it pauses for a second then just goes to the next slide, like it is ignoring the command to go to the previous slide, and defaults to the next slide command.  Any idea why it does this?  Also, is there not a "Replay slide" option?  I didn't see anything in the On Success: field.  Thanks for any help.      MacLean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very unusual to have a button that has been properly configured for a Go to Previous action to just ignore the action and Go to Next slide instead.

Can you please show screenshots of your setup with each button selected and showing the specific Actions selected in the Properties tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Replay button, have a look at my most recent blog. I also am finishing up a Captivate tutorial which shows more in detail the effect of Replay and Reset on different items in Captivate:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/replay-or-reset-slide

To have a Next and Previous button on each slide there are 4  possible approaches:

1. Simple but efficient for pure linear courses: use the Playbar, and eventually take out all items you don't want. It has a Previous and Next button. This works both for responsive and non-responsive projects.
  2. For a non-responsive project: put the Next button on the Main Master slide. Make sure that all used master slides inherit the Main master slide items. That means you need to use one of the 3 most recent button types: shape button, SVG as button, bitmap image as button. Keep the default setting and the button will automatically pause at the end of each slide, whatever its duration. Drawback; Next button will be visible from the start of each slide, no way to force viewing (which is IMO bad practice for adult learning). You can do the same for the Previous button, but may prefer to do so not on the Main master slide but on used master slides except the first slide. Another drawback; you are no able to hide/show the button on slides because it has no ID.
  3. Pu the buttons on the first slide and time them for the rest of the project. Same restriction to the newer types. Advantage: button will have an ID and can be hidden/shown when wanted. 
  4. If you really insist on the buttons appearing only at the end of the slide, you can follow your present workflow and have a button on each slide, or delay the appearance of the project timed button with an On Enter action. 

As Rod points out there is no reason whatsoever why a button with a Success action of 'Go to Previous Slide' should go to the nexts slide. Show the screenshots he asks about. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Very helpful, I think I will just use the Playbar as it is a straight and simple linear course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  Playbar buttons are fine for a linear project. Be aware: you will NOT have a Replay Slide button. There is only a Replay Project button available. 

You can also think about allowing navigation by TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gonna throw this thought out there...

You mentioned layering your previous and next buttons on top of one another.

I picture them being in the same space on the stage - overlapping physically.. That made me wonder if the next button was on top and so that is the action that was firing.  Is it possible they need some more separation on the stage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources