• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

no buttons in review mode...where are they?

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure what to do...there are NO BUTTONS in Review Quiz...so basically, at the end of the quiz, I click the Review Quiz button and I see if the question was answered correctly or not...but there's no NEXT/SKIP or buttons of any kind...what did I not set correctly?

FYI...the quiz is 30 Pool questions (3 questions each--and yes, it took two days to do 90 questions)...I'm only using the "Submit" button on the quiz slides with the "User MUST answer the question to continue" in the Quiz Prefs...

I know its not much to go on, but its what I got...I know I did/omitted something elementary...or is this an issue because of the number of pooled questions?

Thanks to anyone with aid or suggestions.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

It sounds like you may have some corruption in your quiz.  My first guess is that maybe you've deleted or replaced some of the Quiz Title or Quiz Question captions that are added by default to each question.  Most Captivate developers don't realise that these captions are essential to the proper functionality of the quiz, so they change or delete these captions.  Then things don't work as expected. 

Try this:

1. Open each quiz question slide
  2. Use Ctrl + A to select everything on the sldie
  3. Use the small

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've got the questions configured to only have submit buttons and no Skip buttons, then the Skip button won't be present at Review either.  Turn on your Skip button for the main quiz and it will still be there for the Review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rod points out, you need to keep the Skip button during the Quiz, besides the Submit button. That Skip button doubles as Next button during Review. If you keep the Clear button as well, which allows the user to reset his question if he messed it up, you can drag the Skip button below the Clear button. Buttons on the question slides have a certain stacking order. But the Submit is the lowest, so no way to drag the Skip button (that you can rename to Next button if you do not use it during Quiz) underneath the Submit button as is possible for the Clear button.

If you do not want the Clear button neither, you can add a Static button widget to the question slides to move to the Next question Because the native question buttons are always on top, you can in that case hide the Next button (= widget) underneath the Submit button that will not appear during Review. Only issue then is to get a similar aspect for Submit and Next (=widget) button.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, Rod,

Thank you both for your input...I'll see what happens with your suggestions...and Rod, thanks again for the favor [and even though you replied before Lilybiri and I put her name before yours, its a "ladies first respect thing"--just in case you noticed ]...

But something happened that confuses me even more...I bought the quiz home so I could just mess around with it (only the published file...not the CP file) and the first time I took the quiz I just clicked the review button and same old, same old...no next button...

Next, since I had the quiz set up with pooled questions and 3 tries, I just wanted to see what random order the questions would be presented...so, I took the quiz...and just for sh..ts and giggles, I hit the review button...then, I saw the "Next" button...what the heck happened? So, I clicked the "Next" button and then, the next slide had NO Next button...

So, I took the quiz again, and at the end, hit the review button, and BAM...there it was, the Next button...and this time, it let me review ALL 30 answers...needless to say, I started taking the quiz over and over and clicking the review button...and sure enough, I'd get a different scenario each time...basically one of three scenarios...

• either there is no button at all;
  • I get the "Next" button ONLY on the first slide, or
  • all of the Next buttons work

...is there something that I may have done on a slide by slide basis that could cause this inconsistency?

And in case this is important, my file is published as an EXE...and again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have some corruption in your quiz.  My first guess is that maybe you've deleted or replaced some of the Quiz Title or Quiz Question captions that are added by default to each question.  Most Captivate developers don't realise that these captions are essential to the proper functionality of the quiz, so they change or delete these captions.  Then things don't work as expected. 

Try this:

1. Open each quiz question slide
  2. Use Ctrl + A to select everything on the sldie
  3. Use the small eye icon in the timeline of that slide to hide everything
  4. If your question title and/or question text captions disappear, recreate the question from new again.
  5. Test again once you know that all qestions now contain required elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod...I'm GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY as charged...I deleted everthing I didn't need...I think you've given me information comparable to Nuggets of Gold...I'll let you know how it goes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information about question slides, reviewing in those blog posts:

Question Question Slides in Captivate

Question Question Slides - part 2

Customizing Review Messages

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...thanks Lilibiri, Rod,

You guys came through for me...I'm GOOD-TO-GO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a setting in Preferences > Quiz > Settings: check "Review Mode Navigation Buttons"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, this is a very old thread. At that moment there were not yet Review navigation buttons.  I will lock this thread since it is not at all relevant for present versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources