Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-Linear Quiz - How to skip content slides

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greeting from Chicago!
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand.

I need to create a course with the following behavior:

a number of "timed" slides are presented

a graded quiz question (or multiple questions) is presented to the learner

after quiz questions are answered, learner returns to course content

a number of "timed" slides are presented

another graded quiz question(s) is/are presented.

Quiz results displayed to learner at end of course

On "passing grade" learner is moved out of course

On "failing grade" learner is moved to re-take quiz

How do I allow the learner to retake the quiz without them needing to go through the timed content slides all over again?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

There are mulitple solutions. I suspect the first visit to the course is linear? If not, let me know.

The attempts on quiz level are stored in a system quizzing variable, cpInfoAttempts. It has the value 1 on the first attempt. You can create a conditional advanced action, to be applied to the first slide of a sequence of content slides (if it is a linear course), that will look like this:

IF cpQuizInfoAttempts is greater than 1

Jump to slide...           which is the first slide of the next que

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are mulitple solutions. I suspect the first visit to the course is linear? If not, let me know.

The attempts on quiz level are stored in a system quizzing variable, cpInfoAttempts. It has the value 1 on the first attempt. You can create a conditional advanced action, to be applied to the first slide of a sequence of content slides (if it is a linear course), that will look like this:

Jump to slide...           which is the first slide of the next question sequence

ELSE

Continue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri!

Thank you so much for your insight on this. It worked perfectly!

Yes the course is linear.

I'm assuming I would need to write and attach this advanced action on each of the content slides that follow a question slide. (editing the "target" slide numbers of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two possibilities. You could add an advanced action to all content slides that are in between quiz slides, and replace the Jump to.... by Go to Next Slide. Another possibility is to create a shared action, with the Jump to... and define the slide label or the slide number as parameter. Then you can apply that shared action only to the first content slide after a quiz slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Lilybiri​,

I went with your first suggestion of

Jump to slide...           which is the first slide of the next question sequence

ELSE

Continue

I'm using the default results slide, with minor modifications; a "passed" image and a "failed" image.

I've been able to display the correct image, based on the results of the initial attempt. I.E. failed quiz attempt displays "failed" image.

However, if the learner retakes the quiz and passes on the 2nd attempt, the results slide is still displaying the "failed" image and not the "pass" image.

In other words, the display values of the images are not resetting once the learner clicks "retry quiz".

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't tell how you make the images visible instead of the default messages on the Result slide. If you showed it in a custom way, make sure to hide it again.  It is much easier to use a feedback with states, because you can avoid having to reset the situation since the object will return to its normal state, if you don't activate 'Retain state.

I just published a blog, where I used states for a feedback at the last slide, but it is waiting moderation in the eLearning community. Maybe it will be released tomorrow? It is about a custom short answer question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources