• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-looping animated gif issue....

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have an issue with animated gif files where they do not replay correctly when I return to the slide that contains them. They play fine the first time viewed, but not if you return to it. It seems the only way I'm able to keep the gif playing is if I set it to endlessly loop. And if I do that, the animation doesn't start from the beginning when I return to the slide. I just want the animation to start over and play from the beginning once every time I go back to the slide.

My animations were made in Flash and exported as gif animations. I'm using Captivate 7 and my client needs the course to be all HTML5 (no Flash).

Has anyone been able to get a animated gif (not set to loop) to play correctly (meaning from the beginning of it) if you return to the slide after viewing it already?

Thanks,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan

I've not tested this, but I wonder if you were to hide the GIF, then show it again if it would somehow "reset" the animation? Perhaps on slide exit hide it, then show it on slide enter?

Might not work, but certainly worth a try.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, thanks for your reply. I liked you idea and had hope, but I tried this and it had no effect. What I have figured out from testing however is that if I go back 1 to 5 slides and return to the animation slide it doesn't reset and just shows the last slide of the animation only. But if I go back 6 or more it does reset the animation. That's very strange! I tested this several times and got the same result. I wonder if there is a buffer of memory of some sort that drops slide info after 5 slides? Or something stranger?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted this issue to the bug database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are going to need to reload the src of the container holding the gif using jQuery/JavaScript so that it thinks it new. It's more of a broswer issue than anything in Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is a general browser issue from what I have been seeing on StackOverflow. Just how to go about it is tricky. Does this mean I have to excecute JavaScript when I enter the slide?

DJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that would be the most reliable trigger. It shouldn't hurt anything to if you execute it the first time through unless it starts playing and then resets immediately. If that's the case you'd need to set a variable that the slide has been visited and only execute the JavaScript from an advanced action that checks the status of the variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing about this issue is I had asked someone really knowledgeable in Javascript if I could use it to reset the slide in some way and he told me that he thought the issue had something to do with how the animation was created. I'm not extremely knowledgeable in Javascript and am wondering if one of you could post the Javascript here (that will reset a slide) if you get this working? I'd really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need to look through the CPM.js file for the name of the div or container that holds the gif, then I could work something up. All projects will be structured differently so it's difficult to write code that's dynamic enough to handle multiple situations. You could contact us through our website www.tlcmediadesign.com if you'd like to work something out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anybody ever figure this out? I am using an animated gif on 20 different slides. It only plays on the first one. If I make it loop it plays on all 20, but doesn't start at the beginning every time. I've tried adjusting it on the timeline to make it play once entirely, but it doesn't seem to take care of the issue. I might just try making 20 versions of it and using a different one on each slide. Seems like there should be an easier way.

This thread is from 4.5 years ago and the problem continues.

- mark -

Mark_W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

8 years later . . . no fix? This is super annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources