Opening a file in a new window

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have another captivate exercise that opens in a new window. When I publish to the LMS, the behavior is the when opening the file the main course 'kicks' down to the task bar when the window opens instead of the exercise file opening in another tab. Is there another setting I should try?

The browser settings (edge) allow pop ups from the LMS. Here's a picture of the settings:

Samantha5FE8_0-1606935668771.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by TLCMediaDesign | Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to execute JavaScript to open a sized window. Change the dimensions width and height. It's best to put your file to be opened in the callees folder

window.open ("callees\index.html","mywindow","menubar=0,resizable=1,width=350,height=250");

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Opening a file in a new window

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have another captivate exercise that opens in a new window. When I publish to the LMS, the behavior is the when opening the file the main course 'kicks' down to the task bar when the window opens instead of the exercise file opening in another tab. Is there another setting I should try?

The browser settings (edge) allow pop ups from the LMS. Here's a picture of the settings:

Samantha5FE8_0-1606935668771.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by TLCMediaDesign | Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to execute JavaScript to open a sized window. Change the dimensions width and height. It's best to put your file to be opened in the callees folder

window.open ("callees\index.html","mywindow","menubar=0,resizable=1,width=350,height=250");

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the system path and only have the filename displayed in the URL field. Once you have published both your projects, copy the published unzipped secondary project folder to the callees folder of the primary published project. Keep in mind that the secondary project will not communicate results to your LMS and your learners may need reminding to return to the original project if this is necessary to complete after finishing with the secondary project.

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://www.youtube.com/paulwilsonlearning

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for response!

I tried it that way and it 404'd out. I also tried just dropping the exercises in the root and it still 'kicked' the main training down to the task bar.

We've had similar problems like this in Articulate. It seems to resolve when we set a custom window size that opens in a new window, but I don't see that option in Captivate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay will give it a try. 

Always get confused. Is it a backward slash or a forward slash?

Thanks,

Sam

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since David didn't see your question. It is a path in a folder, and a path always has backward slashes. Only in an URL would it be forward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020 1