• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening old .cp file in Captivate

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I recently just downloaded a free trial of Captivate 2019. I didn't realize that I would not be able to open an old project with a .cp file. I downloaded Captivate because I want to convert our old .cp file project to a format that we can input into our LMS online. I know now that Captivate only opens .cptx files now, but that if I could download Adobe Captivate 5 or earlier, I could open the .cp file and convert it to .cptx, and then I could publish it as a SCORM file or an mp4 which I could use in the LMS. How can I download Captivate 5? 

Thank you,
Lindsay

TOPICS
Import export , Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A cp file is over 10 years old. If my memory is correct from 2008. 12 years in IT is an eterntiy. Each new version of Captivate can open only two verrsions back.

You cannot download versions from Adobe anymore except last two. 

Even if you could find someone with version 5, there will still be no way to open the 'converted' file in CP2019 at all. It makes no sense, so much has changed:

• since CP5 only support for AS3, not AS2 as in cp-files
  • now totally loss of real support for any SWF output
  • since CP6 all files are based on themes

Do not lose time to try to find a way to convert that file. Restarting from scratch is the best advicce I can offer. If it is a simple file, linear with little interactivity, you could record it while playing the SWF with the Video Demo functionality. Eventually use the resulting video in a cptx project and add some interactivity to have an interactive video.

I have no cp4 files anymore, and although I have a rather good CP-memory don't remember if the Library was already there, nor if it can be opened as external Library. I have been able to do that with 5.5 files. That could help because you will have some assets availabel in the library.

BTW I will present some tips in the eLearning conference (online) of end of June concerning upgrading legacyprojects for output to HMTL5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources