• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Partial scoring dilemma with LMS reporting of custom quizzes

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have four custom multiple choice quizzes that need to have partial scoring based on getting the correct answer on the first or second try.  For each quiz a correct answer on first try gives 25 points. On second try it gives 15 points.  You can only get one or the other.  The scores are attached to shape buttons that are "Included in Quiz",  added to the total,  and reported to the LMS.  The learner needs to score more than 60 points from all four quizzes to pass. I have the Quiz preferences set to report points and pass or fail on the 60 point threshold.

The problem is Captivate will not allow more than 100 points when all scored objects are totaled up.  I can't simply report the points scored.  It suggests reporting the scores as a percentage. Since the total of scored objects is 160, this means that 60 points will be displayed as 37.5%.  The desired outcome would be a display of 60%.

It's not crucial that a score be displayed by the LMS.  Just a pass or fail would suffice.  I could have a branching action that sends learners to a success or failure slide depending on the total score.  If they reach the success slide, they pass.  Is there a way to set up a pass or fail based on reaching a particular slide?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you want is not partial scoring, as is built in the Quiz design for MCQ questions with multiple correct answers. Misunderstanding, sorry.

I have a blog post about linking score to attempts somewhere. However, transmitting to the LMS is not treaded in that post. Hope someone else can help you, not so easy but I don't feel up to figuring this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Leaving score aside, is there a way to set up a pass or fail based on reaching a particular slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, use a heavily scored interactive object on that slide, that the learner has to click and set the passing score in such a way that they cannot pass if they have not clicked that button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that. The problem is that the LMS will display a score or percentage not consistent with the learner's actual performance on the four quizzes.... unless there is some way to not display that and only display a pass or fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I offered that because you wrote "Leaving Score aside....." which seems not to be the case.

It will have to be with JS because the Quizzing System variables are read only, and you'll have to store the scores first in a user variable and later on transfer the right amount to the quizzing system variables. I will leave you to the JS experts. Could probably find a workaround, without JS, solved that type of situation many times for clients, but don't have time at this moment to do it and would need to see the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You don't have to solve it with my files but can you give me a brief description of the method you used?  I'm not a JS coder so a workaround would be preferred.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if you are publishing to HTML5 you might be able to use the CpExtra HTML5 widget to achieve the result you are after.  It has a function that allows you to change the score that an interactive object reports to the quiz.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/command-variables/positioning-s...

Basically the idea would be (in your case) that you want the interactive objects to report a REDUCED score value to the quiz if the user is on their second or third attempt.  Is that not correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks great!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Leaving score aside, is there a way to set up a pass or fail based on reaching a particular slide?

In your publish settings, under reporting, you can select Incomplete --> Complete

then use some JavaScript on the particular slide On Enter action:

SCORM_CallLMSSetValue('cmi.core.lesson_status', 'completed');

SCORM_CallLMSCommit();

So whenever a user hits this slide, the lesson will send a completed status to the LMS. Be sure to make sure your lesson logic is sound and users cannot skip slides with the next button or use the menu to jump over content you want the to see.

You might need to change your question types to Knowledge Checks so they will not count as a quiz and the lesson try to report the score when the quiz is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources