Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pausing Triggered Object Audio using Captivate Player Controls

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am wondering if there an elegant way to pause audio that is triggered by Play Audio action attached to a button?

On my timeline I have Introductory audio that explains why learners should click one of the 2 buttons on the stage.

Button 1 plays Audio 1 and changes the state of a graphic to state 1

Button 2 plays Audio 2 and changes the state of a graphic to state 2

I am able to pause the introductory audio using the Captivate Player Controls

I would like to pause the audio that is triggered by the play audio action (Audio 1 or 2) attached to the buttons using the Captivate Player Controls.

Is this possible?

Regards Richard Rambarran

Moderator: Please do not post credentials in a public forum!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should have a look at this movie:

Audio and Pausing Timeline

Captivate's Timeline

The way audio clips can be paused depends on the type of audio and the used pausing type. Have bad news for you: there is NO way to pause a clip that is started with the command Play Audio. You can only stop it with Stop Triggered audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, is there still no way within Captivate, without using JS, to pause a clip that is started with the command Play Audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pause, no. You can only stop it with 'Stop Triggered Audio', but that is not the same as pausing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your answer. This is a little frustrating. I want to be able to use the pause/play button in the playbar controls to pause/play audio attached to a button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do this would be to use JavaScript.

You would need to find the name of the pause and play buttons, add event listeners to them both. Then find the audio and pause/play it.

This would more than likely need to be done in external JavaScript, but may work in a JS window.

I'll see if I can find a script I wrote some time ago that can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, the title by the OP is confusing because he is NOT talking about Object audio (which can be pased in an advanced action by the Pause command) but about a clip triggered by the Play Audio command. Can that be paused and resumed with Javascript?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can. Everything can be accessed and controlled with JavaScript.

If there is audio on the slide, no matter what is playing it or how it was triggered, there should be an <audio> tag.

There may be a few audio tags, so you would need to find the correct one, and then it can be paused or played.

It's kind of the same way as buttons on a Master Slide. They can be accessed by searching through the DOM for the element that matches an accessibility tag since you have no idea what id Captivate will assign the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TLCMediaDesign, thanks for that info. I can manage all audio except the Play Audio clips without JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there JavaScript that can be applied to a slide action that tells the generic play/pause button in the playbar to also pause audio that is added to a button? If so, can you share that JavaScript? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources