Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pinch and Zoom gestures issues on iOS

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Captivate 2019, build 11.5.5.676, on a Mac running Catalina. My learning module is not going to be running in a LMS environment, it will just be a page on our site, with a custom backend setup. I'm currently trying to get the Pinch and Zoom function to work on iOS 14. It seems that the only way that I can get it to work on an iPhone, is if I embed the published module index file into an iFrame. If I just use the files that Captivate publishes, with gestures enabled, the pinch and zoom gesture doesn't seem to work. It does nothing. Should this be happening? The other grestures worked without using an iFrame, it was just pinch and zoom that wasn't working. Is this a bug? Surely I shouldn't have to embed the module just to make the gesture feature work correctly.

Thanks,

Richard

TOPICS
Advanced , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

you're not saying, what kind of project it is.

• Is it a Responsive project? With Fluid Boxes or Breakpoints?
  • Or is it a Blank Project? Published to Output Format: HTML5? Scalable HTML content? 
  • Or Blank Project published to SWF? Or both HTML5/SWF?
  • Or one of the others: Software Simulation, Video Demo or From PowerPoint?
  • Or a Virtual Reality Project?

In case it is a Responsive project with Fluid Boxes (I guess the most popular project variant right now) then your published index.html file will have this meta tag in it's <head> section:

<meta name='viewport' content='initial-scale = 1, minimum-scale = 1, maximum-scale = 1'/>

This is self-explanatory. Initial, minimum and maximum scale is always 1 (to 1). One cannot zoom or pinch! You could attempt to change these values in your published index.html - to zoom maybe maximum-scale = 2, to shrink minimum-scale = 0.5. But Captivate in this project variant (responsive/fluid boxes) makes anyway sure that the entire content is displayed on the available viewport without the need to scroll or zoom or similar.

When you wrap the published index.html in an iFrame, practically embed it into a parent HTML document, then this parent document might not contain a meta tag for viewport or it contains one with different values. Depends. Then one can possibly zoom or pinch.

Anyway, please tell us what kind your project is

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

Sorry, I chould have elaborated more. It was late, and I was just about to go to bed.

It's not a responsive project. It's from a blank project, published as html5, with scalable and gestures checked.

When published, the meta tags are: <meta name='viewport' content='initial-scale = 1, minimum-scale = 1, maximum-scale = 1'/>

I did try stripping out the meta maximum/mimimum scale, and also added in user-scalable=yes, but that didn't seem to work. But if I wrap the published index.html in an iFrame, with the modified meta tags, it does seem to funtion correctly.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

now it's late for me and I'm in the process to go to bed like you did. Thus this will be an incomplete reply.

You are right by adding user-scalable=yes. I forgot that to mention in my first reply.

As I said before Captivate builds the HTML5 document in a way that all content fits into the viewport no matter the size (as far as this is possible). In so far shrinking or zooming is not really necessary. So far I never attempted what you trying to achieve. I'll will have to do some experiments in this lane myself. But not today.

But maybe your way of using an iFrame is just the way to go. The problem is only that after each publish you'll have to integrate the iFrame construction again.

I might come back to this.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to keep with the iFrame implementation if it doesn't impact the back end for the developer too much. It's a complicated research project, with pre and post test surveys, and clinical trial payer cards etc. I tried publishing the project as scalable and non-scalable project, with and without the gestures, but the pinch and zoom doesn't seem to work. From what I can tell, gestures seem to work okay on the responsive project, but saving my current project as a responsive project would mean a lot of reconfiguring on each slide, and I have around 60 slides. We were using Captivate 9 when I started the project, so the fluid elements weren't available.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Richard, did you ever get a resolution to pinch/zoom in your blank project, published as html5, with scalable and gestures checked?  I am in desperate need of the same functionality.  (I believe there are many others, as there are several open threads re this in various locations, but no resolutions.)

If so, would you please share?

I am unfamiliar with iFrame.  Is that only used on apple devices or would it also be functional in other browsers?  Ideally, we could zoom and pan on any touch-enabled device.

I would certainly appreciate any help you are willing to offer.  

Thank you. --Kristin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources