• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placeholder Smart Shapes in Master Slide

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to Captivate, so I will try and explain my question as clearly as possible!

I am creating a template for a project I am working on. In Master Slide View, I have added Smart Shape placeholders for objects (eventually buttons) I want to appear on that type of slide. When I insert that Slide (Lets call it Slide 1) to the filmstrip, I double click to activate the smart shape, then press "Use as button." I am able to apply the action I want to the button. (Action 1)

However, when I create a additional slide (Slide 2) from the same master slide, and I follow the same steps above, but instead give a button a different action (Action 2), then button on Slide 1 changes from Action 1 to Action 2.

It seems somehow that by creating this type of smart shape placeholder, it links the type of action somewhere to the background code of the Master slide object. I have found that if I Cut, then Paste the button before I apply an action, they will no longer be linked and works as I am intending. Is there something that I am initially doing to cause this? Or are placeholders just weird?

I am using Captivate 19 on Windows, just updated the version.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version? Do you mean version 11.0.1.266 which is also indicated as CP2019? There is not yet a version 19., version 11 is the most recent.

A shape button is the only interactive object which you can use on the master slide. When used there it should always have the same action. It is not because a shape button can also be used as a non-interactive object or text container, that you can override that normal behavior. To me it seems very logical what happens. When you copy/paste the shape button you are not working on the master slide but on a normal slide.

Do not use a 'template' which is a cptl file, because it is very buggy especially when using actions and variables. All design components (which includes the master slides) are part of a theme. Advanced actions could be replaced by shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick response!

For clarification:

I have been making the smart shape a button and applying the action after I have created the slide on the filmstrip. (Until then, it is just a smart shape placeholder on the master slide)

The problem arises after I create a 2nd slide on the filmstrip, using the same master slide. I want smart objects to be placed on the same points, but able to be programmed to do different actions. Per the images below, I created a master slide with the 3 objects. Master slide.png

if I have put an action on the square in Slide one in the filmstrip, when I enable to the square in slide 2 as a button on the filmstrip, they become linked. If I change the action in one, it changes in the other.

Slide 1.png

I hope this clarifies! I appreciate your patience as I learn this new system! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did understand what you mean.  Difficult to explain what I understand to be logical.  I would never use a plaeholder for a non-interactive item and then convert it to an interactive object on the slides. It is only possible with that powerful but hybrid item which is a shape.  Just tried to explain that my Captivate intuition, developed since over 10 years, understands what you experience. If you did convert the shape on the master slide to a button, it could only trigger one action on all slides where it would be applied.  Since you need different actions fot  the buttons, you should not use a placeholder in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this behavior is by design or a bug. Regardless of which it is, it looks like you can’t set a different action to both of them and they’ll always be linked together this way.

To get this to do what you want you’ll have to create a new SmartShape on one of your slides and then copy/paste it onto additional slides. This way each copy of the smart shape is a standard “unique” object that isn’t connected to anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources