Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playbar overrides slide exit settings

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have a number of videos on slides that are optional for learners. These slides are interspersed through the course directly after the slide that refers to them.  They are accessed via buttons which work well, and have a "return to course" button which also works well and directs them back to the slide from which they selected the optional video. All good to that point. I have set the exit settings on the slides which contains the links to the video to "jump to slide" to the next course slide after the ones with the videos. Almost like "leapfrog". In other words, if you don't want to watch the video you simply continue moving forward in the course using the playbar. The problem is that the playbar overrides the exit settings on the slides and instead of jumping to the slide after the ones with the video, it navigates one slide on to the video slides, making the optional content pointless. I know that I can hide the playbar for those slides and place a "next" button on the slides which will jump over the optional video slides, but having a playbar on some slides, and not others, will confuse the learners, and if they navigate backwards at any point, they will still hit the video slides. I have researched branching, but that does not seem to solve the problem. Is there any way to make the playbar adhere to the exit settings of a slide, or alternatively hide the video slides until accessed via the buttons created for that purpose.?

Thanks

Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

It is never a good idea to mix custom navigation with the playbar. The buttons on the playbar cannot trigger any other action than what they tell: Next, Back, Fast forward, .....

Please use custom navigation buttons. Shape buttons can be used on master slide, or timed for the rest of the project. That makes it easy to skip the playbar. Anyway the progress bar in the playbar is also confusing for a non-linear project, branching, skipping.

Another tip: On Exit event is not really to be trusted and s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is never a good idea to mix custom navigation with the playbar. The buttons on the playbar cannot trigger any other action than what they tell: Next, Back, Fast forward, .....

Please use custom navigation buttons. Shape buttons can be used on master slide, or timed for the rest of the project. That makes it easy to skip the playbar. Anyway the progress bar in the playbar is also confusing for a non-linear project, branching, skipping.

Another tip: On Exit event is not really to be trusted and should be used sparingly, especially for navigation. Have a look at:

Importance of Captivate's Events? - eLearning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. It is frustrating that the playbar lacks full customisation, as adding one's own on the master slide takes up space on the slide, but if that is what it takes, then so be it. Thanks for your swift response. I'm not sure if it is my computer, but the .pdf table accessed via the link you sent does not open. No problem. I have my answer. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a browser with a pdf plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources