• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

position the custom motion effect applied image where it was left off when revisiting same slide

Explorer ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a slide that involves a series of questions. The user has to answer Yes or No to the question. there is an image of a child that moves one step further if the user answers  Yes to the question and does not move if answered No

screenshot:

Screenshot (47).png

I am moving this image by creating a custom motion effect that moves the image one step further. here is the detail in this blog.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/how-to-use-custom-effect-in-actions 

And creating an advanced action to the Yes button that applies that effect and moves it one step further.

I achieved this by Lilybiri's answer here. 

This works well here is my problem.

The menu button in the slide takes the user to the custom Table of content slide. suppose the user in the 8th question which means the image is 8th step forward. if the user goes to the table of the content slide and returns to the same slide, the slide will resume from where it was left off. I did this with reading blogs on Micro-navigation.  But the image of a child does not in the step where it was left off.

Everything is fine but the image comes to the first step that is the problem.

I think there is some possibility to solve this possible. 

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects are reset automatically when you leave the slide and re-enter it. You didn't mention in the first quesstion that this could happen.

In that case it is not a good idea to use motion effects. I would replace it by a multistate object, where the image moves one step further in each step (will be without visible movement). You can use shortcut keys to do so: SHIFT-Right key will move the image 10px to the right (you can find those shortcut keys also on my blog). You'll need as many states as you have steps.

Instead of applying the custom effect with an advanced action, you'll use the 'Go to Next State' command on a correct question. Make sure that you activate the option 'Retain state when....' in the Properties panel of the multistate object.

Read here:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/about-state-commands-and-a-progress-bar

You talk about micro-navigation, one of the words I invented almost 10 years ago. What are you using it for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lilybiri. I will be looking into it. I used Micro-navigation to resume the slide from where it was left off by using for eg, rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That variable has been deprecated with version 6 if my memory is correct.  Found in a very old article? 

I recommend to download the free table with system variables published in its most recent version in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

As for micro-navigation:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/micro-navigation-introduction

I may have a solution where you can have the movement as well as the correct state. But need to test it out, only based on my CP intuition at this moment. It would help if you showed me the Timeline of that sldie because I still do not understand why you would need micro-navigation for this use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! sorry I mentioned the wrong variable here. I paste this name from somewhere but It was old. my bad!

I have used cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume and cpInfoCurrentFrame two system variables.

I don't think that it has something to do with my current requirement but yet I want to explain what I am doing. And I don't think that I can explain this by showing Timeline but I am sure that you will understand with my explanation on implementation.

In each slide, there is a menu button that takes to the table of content slide. In advance action of this button, I have stored the cpInfoCurrentFrame in var_startframe variable.

screenshot.

Screenshot (49).png

now, even if we go to the table of the content slide, the var_startframe records the exact time of the slide when it was left. 

There is another variable to store the slide number which is lastSlide. suppose this slide number is 1_3. while entering this slide I have assigned the lastSlide value of 1_3. 

table of content look like this.

Screenshot (53).png

if I just came from the 1_3 slide and again click the 1.3 third link I will be resumed from where it was left off because  1.3 third link has the advance action assigned to it when clicking which look like this.

Screenshot (55).png

if I was not coming from slide 1_3 but like 1_4 I will be directed to the same slide and slide will start from 0 because in else part of the advance action will just take to the particular slide of the link.

else part screenshot. 

Screenshot (57).png

That's why I am using these system variables and it is working well in my project. I hope this is clear now.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, I need to see the TIMELINE!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are a lot of things on this slide because this image is actually the screenshot of the real project I am working on.   the first screenshot I posted in this question was of the demo slide I prepared to ask the question.

Here is the screenshot of the timeline of the slide.

Screenshot (61).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have at least 5 interactive objects on this slide (if you do not use SVG or bitmap as button, this is correct). Only one of them is pausing the slide, disable_638 (do yo make so many copies????). It is not very clear because of the red arrow indicator, which means the end of this timeline is glued to the end of the slide timeline (why???) but it looks like you have the pausing point at the last frame. Not at all a good idea, leave at least a small inactive part for that 'button'. That also means that you always leave that slide at this moment at that last frame, makes micro-navitation very dangerous because there can be a slight difference in slide number due to lagging. 

Your sentence 'var_startframe records the exact time of the slide when it was left. ' is not correct. It never stores a 'time' at all, but approximately the frame where the playhead is when that action is triggered. Since I don't see that 'GoToMenu' button on the Timeline, I presume it is either on the master slide, or timed for the rest of the project.

There are two groups which are not expanded, maybe you have more interactive objects in those groups? 

You may now understand why I asked for that timeline, which is the MOST important panel in any Captivate project.

When posting advanced actions, please post the Preview (first button in the top right control panel, arrow). Those partial screenshots make it very difficult to screen actions. Have a look at this post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

If you want my personal opinion, you make this a lot too complicatd and there are many reasons why this will probalby go awry, due to the setup.

Why do you not use a 'menu' which is timed for the rest of the project and hidden by default. Use that GotoMenu button to pop up that menu. You can use hyperinks to let them navigate to a specific slide. A combination of the workflows in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/sliding-menu

http://blog.lilybiri.com/use-hyperlinks-as-interactive-object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources