Positioning Motion Paths

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I set the x and y coordinates on a motion path so that the path ends at a precise location?

I have 3 objects on a slide that I want to move and left-align. I've been using the trial-and-error method of adjusting the motion path arrows, previewing, and then moving the arrows again, but that is tedious and unexact. It would be much better if I could just set the desired coordinates.

I thought maybe I could edit the xml file, but I'm a long ways from being advanced enough to understand what I'm looking at so I don't know if that's even possible.

I'm using CP 6.0, if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Most Valuable Participant , Aug 12, 2012
Lilybiri Most Valuable Participant , Aug 12, 2012
I really want there would be an easy way...but there isn't. Either you have to plunge into the XML that defines each effect, also the motion path (most of them are relative to the present position of the object on the stage), or you find another way. I  can only explain my way: in my templates I always have a crosshair, object group with a vertical and a horisontal line that I can position exactly using the Transform accordion. Motion paths are always referencing to the center point of the bound...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want there would be an easy way...but there isn't. Either you have to plunge into the XML that defines each effect, also the motion path (most of them are relative to the present position of the object on the stage), or you find another way. I  can only explain my way: in my templates I always have a crosshair, object group with a vertical and a horisontal line that I can position exactly using the Transform accordion. Motion paths are always referencing to the center point of the bounding box of the object, I drag the start or the end point of the path on the crosshair. Maybe a screenshot would explain better, but I have to switch the browser, forum doesn't allow posting images with Chrome for the moment.

Lilybiri

MotionPath.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Lilybiri. This is a great workaround for something that should be simple.

I always learn so much from you.

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I have logged several requests to enhance the Effects work flows, one of them is to be able to define more precisely motion paths (and to have curved paths as well of course). It would help to push such requests more to the top of the priority list, if you would do the same.

Preparing a blog post about resetting such motion effects, found a workaround that works well in CP6, but have to check whether it is also the case for previous versions. Since a lot has changed in CP6, I'm not that sure.

Lilybiri

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this post and I have the same question. I assume that nothing has happened in the last decade to change this issue?

I am coming from a Camtasia environment, where it is easy to specify so much, to a Captivate environment where.... well....it isn't.

Many thanks!

Don

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be the answer you were hoping for but I use JavaScript to specify the number of pixels I want my animations to move.

It removes a lot of guesswork for me - but it does require a little comfort with the scripting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stagprime.

You are correct - you have the answer that was _not_ what I was looking for. I abandoned Unix VI for a reason... which is also the same reason I abandoned WordStar. The world moved on. Some functionality I think is just assumed these days. Always amazes me that I can be consistenty surprised by the choices included and excluded in apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not correct.!  Since this thread started, finally my request to have Rulers and Guides (which exist in most creative Adobe applications) were added to Captivate (second version of 9). 

You can place guides very accurately and the Snap to guides functionality exists.  I have used it in many games for positioning motion paths points . Of course, if you prefer programming, go ahead. 

Have a look at this older post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/guides-rule

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now... isn't this just the handiest little feature....

THANK YOU Lilybiri!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lilybiri LATEST
Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so angry after having posted that request since 5 versions, that .... it got implemented. Maybe I need to get angry more often?

Too bad, that it is totally ignored by the Evangelists and most Captivate users. At least, it made me feel a lot more comfortable when designing. And IMO it is even indispensable when creating a custom theme for Fluid Boxes projects where you cannot use the Main masterslide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines