• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PowerPoint Conversion Slide Advancement Issue

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted a PowerPoint training presentation I made to Captivate.

I am trying to advance the slide ONLY after clicking the Next Slide button. The problem is that if the user clicks the slide background the slide starts it's default timing and advances after 3 seconds.

How can I remove this? I only want to use the next button!

Aside from setting the slide timing to 3000 seconds, I cannot seem to get it to work.

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Getting started , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot seem to edit my post.

Playing with the slide background, it seems to be tied to the .swf project background slide. When I switched to master slide (simply white), everything works as it should (clicking the background did nothing).

So, is there a way around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the On Exit slide event to Pause. Not the most beautiful solution, but neither is eLearning created from PPT import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comment. Definetly tried this already. Unfortunetly it does not work. I should say I am using Captivate 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash support has been discontinued by most browsers as of 1/1/21 so that .swf background could be the issue.

Check your timeline and see if there is anything there that stops it progressing? 

Hope that helps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY way I can seem to fix this issue is to create new slides (blank slide via Slide Master), and create a new Captivate slide that mimics the PowerPoint slide.

This is fine, but defeats the whole purpose (in my eyes) of having the ability to convert it.

I have been reading (closed the windows so I cannot provide links) that buttons and PowerPoint conversions do not work.

Hmmmm. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, should have kept to my decision never to answer questions about PPT import anymore. It is not linked with the death of Flash player IMO. It is just too limiting, plugins for PPT do a much better job. I always recommend to unzip the PPT (which is a zipped folder, sames as Captivate's cptx files). Extract the useful assets, import them to the Library of a new Captivate projects, and create from scratch. You will not have any limits, and it will be possible to create a real eLearning course instead of a presentation. Personally I don't even use PPT for presentations, I use Captivate because find it less limiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate doesn't actually 'convert' PPT slides into Captivate slides.  Most other authoring apps that allow you to start with PPT will actually convert PPT slides and objects into native objects in the final app.  But with Captivate the entire process is different because it retains the objects in PPT format and editing is only possible by returning to PPT each time.  

Adobe's thinking here was probably that SMEs would then be able to retain their beloved PPTs and just use 'round-tripping' of the original PPT file to update and sync the content in Captivate.

It was an idea worth trying, and it certainly differentiated Captivate from the other authoring apps where content starting out as PPT had a one-way trip with no way back to PPT again.  However, I think most experienced Captivate users now would agree that best results come from starting your e-learning content in Captivate and building it from the ground up.  Starting with PPT ties your hands in too many ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hear you. I have resorted to simply remaking the content from scratch in Captivate. Not too cumbersome, as the slides are developed, it's just a matter of copy and pasting images and text etc.

In any case, thanks everyone. Glad I am not crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources