Highlighted

Prevent Users from Retaking a Course/Quiz

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this can't be a new problem, but have searched both the forum and the web, and cannot find the answer.  We have a quiz on the LMS (SumTotal) that we do not want users to be able to retake. The problem is, they are given a link the first time to take the quiz, but then go back again later, search for the quiz in SumTotal, and take it again to improve their score.

We have turned off the search feature in SumTotal for this quiz, but they have found another way to re-find the quiz. In Captivate, we have specified, "If failing grade, allow 1 attempt." this did not fix our issue. Is there a variable to write to resolve this and only allow one take? The LMS shows "completed", but they can restart again. The LMS admin has said there is nothing else on her side to "tic" or select. I don't want just a variable to tell me how many attempts they have made, I want something to prevent an attempt at the quiz greater than one time.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prevent Users from Retaking a Course/Quiz

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this can't be a new problem, but have searched both the forum and the web, and cannot find the answer.  We have a quiz on the LMS (SumTotal) that we do not want users to be able to retake. The problem is, they are given a link the first time to take the quiz, but then go back again later, search for the quiz in SumTotal, and take it again to improve their score.

We have turned off the search feature in SumTotal for this quiz, but they have found another way to re-find the quiz. In Captivate, we have specified, "If failing grade, allow 1 attempt." this did not fix our issue. Is there a variable to write to resolve this and only allow one take? The LMS shows "completed", but they can restart again. The LMS admin has said there is nothing else on her side to "tic" or select. I don't want just a variable to tell me how many attempts they have made, I want something to prevent an attempt at the quiz greater than one time.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 19, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Captivate SCO itself does not 'remember' the learner's score after the module is closed down. By default, SCORM does not require the SCO to save the data anywhere other than the LMS, and it treats each new launch more or less the same unless the LMS tells it to do something different. This is exactly how a SCORM object should work according to the SCORM standard.

So, if the user is able to reopen the module and reattempt the quiz, and then the LMS is willing to accept and add this improved score to its database, then your issue is with the LMS, not with Captivate.  You need to find a way to configure the course in your LMS so that it will only accept a single score submission.

If that's not possible with your particular LMS, then you need to set the course at the LMS level to only allow a single attempt.  If you only want the user to be allowed a single attempt at the quiz, and both at the LMS and the Quiz level only one attempt is allowed, then the learner's first successful or unsuccessful attempt should be the only one they get.

If your learners have found a way to bypass your LMS security and get direct access to the course content then you need to look into that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Thank you for your quick response. What you say makes sense. So to be clear, you are not aware of any script or variable that can be done from the Captivate side that the LMS will interpret from the SCORM output to take care of this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2018 0
Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a somewhat more complex question to ask.  I would be the last person to say that it's not possible to execute some clever script in the Captivate module that would change the game somewhat.  There are some very clever people on this forum and they've surprised me many times.

All I can say is that 'out of the box' Captivate doesn't provide a way configure your SCORM reporting settings to over-ride what would be default SCORM behaviours. However, with a deep enough knowledge of SCORM, and a deep enough knowledge of JavaScript, and a deep enough knowledge of your specific LMS, it might be possible.

The first thing I would be looking at is WHY users seem to be able to relaunch the Captivate quiz module at all from your LMS if they are only supposed to be able to have one attempt at it.  Are your SURE that this course is configured in your LMS to allow only ONE attempt?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Yes, Maximum attempts is set to 1 in the LMS. After 10 tests (changing LMS and Captivate settings), I had a success in stopping myself from retaking the quiz, and documented it. Then I republished with the same settings, and walked through the same settings in the LMS, and was not even able to get into the course. None of this answers either your or my questions - just giving you an update. I met with the LMS admin today, who is supposed to meet with the LMS vendor (SumTotal) to see if she gets anywhere. I will repost if we find anything out.

On setting I changed for this publish version, is to disable the Retake button setting for both Pass and Fail within Captivate. Strange the second version of the same thing did not yield the same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2018 0
Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So here's the bit I don't understand:

If your LMS is set up so that the learner can only launch the course 1 time, and the learner fails to achieve a passing score during that launch, how is the learner able to even make another attempt at all?  Every LMS I have ever used would then simply not allow the learner to either see or click the link to launch the course module again.  Is that NOT the case with your LMS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I know; right? there is a checkbox in the LMS that reads, Maximum attempts: and I have set the value to 1. This worked only on one test. When I tried again, I could not duplicate my success. I cannot believe I am the first person to not want users to take a course more than once. This is frustrating.

Somebody else posed this possibility for a script in Captivate. Not convinced it will work:

In the Captivate Pass or Fail settings, you can do Advanced Actions.

Using Javascript, you could see what the cmi.completion_status (a SCORM variable) in the LMS is set to. If set to compelted, then dont let them take the quiz again. Not sure how to write this, but will look at it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2018 0
Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your issue is with your LMS.  If the LMS is set to only allow one attempt on the course (successful or otherwise), it should prevent all further attempts to launch the course after that pont.  The only other reason I can think of that an LMS would allow you to still launch the course after that first allowed attempt would be if the LMS is then allowing the learner to launch the course in Review Mode.  This mode allows the learner to view the course content again, but even if they DO the quiz again, the score would NOT be accepted by the LMS to overwrite their previous attempt.  Is it possible that your LMS might be doing this?

Check the SCORM documentation here:

https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/run-time/

Look near the end of this page under the heading: Entry, Mode and Credit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gives the option to go to reviwe mode: EITHER Review or Retake. So to answer your question, no, the retake is not in review mode. Thanks though. We continue to work on the problem. I too think it is SumTotal... I'm not sure I can get access to their tech support though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2018 0
Chadia_A LATEST
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy,

I'm experiencing something similar with SumTotal. We are trying to allow learners to test out up front but only give them 1 opportunity to attempt the test out, if they fail they'll need to review the second activity for completion. We have set the maximum attempt in Sumtotal to 1 and also only 1 attempt in the session. We are only enforcing that one of these activities needs to show complete to fulfil our curriculum, with that being said we cannot publish the course to pass/fail or complete/fail because the LMS identifies this as "Attended" and satisfies the 1 successful completion even when the score is below the minimum set in the course and in the LMS. I've had success with the Pass/Fail Complete/Fail blocking any additional registrations for completion actually closing it down to 1 attempt.

We've been publishing as Complete/Incomplete or Pass/incomplete which technically leaves the learner "In Progress" in the system. They are then able to launch the course again via the start button in the LMS and within the course are given the option to Resume or Restart. We've tried adding a variable to only allow one attempt but this does not seem to take this Restart option away.

Just wondering what you found? I have a case in with SumTotal now, hoping to get some answers from them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2018 0