Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent users from skipping to next slide

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 9 on Windows 7 64-bit

I am working on a training video. I do not want the learner to be able to advance to the next slide by clicking NEXT until the video is done playing, which I have successfully succeeded doing by going to the skin editor and taking off all the forward options. I also placed a next button after the slide completes.

I'm wondering if something can be set up so that if the learner has watched the video and advanced and then comes back, they won't be required to watch the entire video again before advancing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have published several blog posts concerning that 'Forced viewing'. But mostly for normal slides, not for slides with synchronized video.

Force First View (micro-navigation) - Captivate blog

Force first view - Captivate 8 - Captivate blog

The last one may be a solution, not the first one.

Another solution will also use two Next buttons on the timeline: one that is timed to start at the end of the video (as you have already I suppose) and one that is at the start of the slide, timed for the rest of the slide, but initially hidden in Output). You can create a Boolean variable v_visit (as discussed in the first blog) with a default value of 0. Create a conditional advanced action to be triggered On Enter for the slide:

IF v_visit is eqaul to 0

Assign v_visit with 1

Show Bt_NextFirst

Continue

ELSE

Hide Bt_NextFirst

Show Bt_NextSecond

Continuie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The normal way to do this is to use variables and Advanced Actions, with the variable being used to track whether or not the learner has visited the slide, but you can do it simply with Advanced Actions alone.

Here's how:

1. Place your button on the slide but have it appear from the very beginning of the slide, with the pausing point set to be just after the video finishes.
  2. Place another shape on TOP of the button and set it to be the same colour as the background so that it makes the button invisible.  Time this object to be on the timeline the same length as the video so that it disappears from view about the same time as the video stops, thereby revealing the button.
  3. Set the button action to execute an Advanced Action that has two action line items.  The first action is to HIDE the shape that covers the button.  The second action item is to do whatever the button was supposed to do in the first place, e.g. jump to the next slide.

So what will happen here is that when the learner returns to this slide, the covering shape will now be hidden and the navigation button is visible by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only problem with that approach is that it cannot be used in a responsive project with Fluid Boxes, because stacking objects is not allowed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.  But if your project belongs to the 90% that are NOT worried about being responsive, then it would be the simplest option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rod I know, Rod, but US developers are crazy sometimes , they often develop responsive projects unnecessary. For each solution I post, try to think about mentioning whether it can be used in Fluid Boxes. In Europe the situation is different, as it seems to be in Australia.  Only occasionally a real responsive project is required here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting points in your discussion since I see the same - after a year and few months of Responsive design in the market  - very little adoption of this format for the clients that I have been teaching and in the projects that I have been asked to build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whow, so it is not limited to old Europe and new Australia?

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018, 03:58 David Burnham HBA <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi, I am looking to do the same thing. But my Youtube video does not start playing automatically. The learner presses the Youtube play button to get it started. If that is the case, I don't know if I can reliable set my next button to show at the end of the length of the video if it doesn't start right away. Would the slide be "running" while they waited to press the Youtube pay button or is the whole slide paused? I a not sure how I can tell that easily since the video was placed in there several years ago and I don't know what settings I used. When I click on the widget it doesn't give the the info I am looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources