• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Chrome 80 communicating with LMS - discussion, solution, and further question

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deeper discussion below. Including hotfix for Chrome 80. Currently when my learner closes their browser for a WBT, the API request to the LMS records the course as being complete.  The latest version of Chrome prevents this (there is a work-around). Chrome will permantly deprecate this option (and negate work-around) with version 88. Edge will aslo deprecate this option.

I need a way for my learner to send a completion signal to the LMS prior to closing the browser.  Any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

Thank you in advance!

Brief summary here, detailed below:

Problem: Latest version of Chrome is presenting problems with Adobe Captivate SCORM 1.2 and LMS. This results in learners not receiving credit with the Chrome browser. The browser change came about in the last few weeks, immediately and adversely affecting out learners.

Who is affected: All Mac and PC learners using the latest version of Chrome, regardless of at home or on campus

Current solutions: Learners may use the Firefox or Internet Explorer browser.  Alternately, they may personally implement a Chrome configuration change

Detailed explanation of problem, and long-term implications:

The Chrome browser functions normally throughout the course.  When the learner ends the course, s/he closes the browser. The act of closing the browser is supposed to send an API request to SF.  The latest version of Chrome blocks SCORM content from sending an API request, resulting in NO CREDIT being recorded for that particular WBT.

I presented a work-around configuration change for Chrome as follows:

1. Open Chrome browser
  2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
  3. Change the drop-down selection from “Default” or “Disabled” to “Enabled”

This change is effective, and provides credit for a successfully completed course.  The problem, however, is it requires each individual to make this configuration change.  This is an unrealistic expectation of our learners. 

This is a statement from Google, where they talk about disallowing sync XHR in page dismissal.  Note that while we are currently able to individually change our Chrome browser configuration, they are deprecating this feature starting at version 88.  Likewise, Microsoft will be deprecating this feature in Edge.  We do not recommend the Edge browser now.  Please note Internet Explorer 11 is the last major version of that browser.  Microsoft is pushing hard for their browser to be solely Edge.  https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4664843055398912

Solutions: We have already discussed the Chrome configuration change, which is not ideal by any means.  It is possible for a developer to request a TEMPORARY opt-out for Chrome.  Developers can opt into the AllowSyncXHRInPageDismissal origin trial to allow synchronous XHR requests during page unload.   Again, this flag will be removed in Chrome 88.  https://developers.chrome.com/origintrials/#/register_trial/4391009636686233601

A second possible solution is sending the final API request before the browser window is closed.  SF originally suggested closing the window to receive credit.  But SF might have a solution to send the API request prior to closing the window.  This would be great.

A third possible solution could come from a change within SF itself, but what that change would be is not within my understanding.

On a final note, and this is definitely a tangent, it would be nice to know why Safari and Edge to not play nicely with SF, and how our learners may use any HTML5 compliant browser of their choosing.

I suggest we work closely with SF to determine the best solution; one that does not eliminate Chrome.

This is a time-sensitive and critical issue for the UK enterprise.

NEWS UPDATE: WE  WERE ABLE TO PUSH A REGISTRY EDIT CHANGE GLOBALLY.  It will not show on your browser configuration, but it showed in my registry upon having it push out selectively to me.  We may have bought ourselves some time.  Regardless, version 88 will be here before you know it.  So we still need a permanent solution.

AND... Adobe has JUST put out this hotfix: https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/hotfix-lms-reporting-issue-chrome-80.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does SF stand for in your post? SuccessFactors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Chris,

My fault. Yes, SF is SuccessFactors. Though i understand it is the Chrome and Edge update are negatively impacting other Learning Management Systems.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources