Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project resolution

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Using Adobe Captivate 2017

My PC screen resolution is set at 1920 x 1080.  When I recorded my captivate session I used the resolution 1920 x 1040.  Problem is when I publish, or view the file I am unable to see all the screen, and have to scroll to see the navigation bar at the bottom, which is where I set it, but also as it is a software simulation, you can't see either the bottom or the top of the windows if you have scrolled up or down.

Is there a quick and easy fix to this for the files I have already recorded. 

Also how to I remedy this for in the future please.  I haven't had this problem before on early versions at other sites where I have worked. 

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the issue is...since you're recording at pretty much the same size as your PC monitor, you then don't have enough room *in the browser* when you view the published product, correct?

Yes, that's an issue - you always have to allow for the 'real estate' which the browser's skin/chrome uses.

This is especially difficult when they have all the various info bars showing, along with a couple helper apps that install their own tool strips (thankfully a lot less often these days, it seems).

So, couple options:

1. If it's just a matter of viewing the project so you can review it, set the project to scalable so it will play proportionally in a smaller browser window.

2. If the issue is more delivery for the end-user, then change your monitor's resolution to something smaller, then record whatever you're showing. When done, change the monitor resolution back and edit/publish your project.

4. Scale down the actual project after recording (not recommended, usually doesn't look very good).

3. Get a bigger monitor (though that won't help if #2 is your issue).

Overall, yes, you don't want to record a screen larger than what your end-users will have, unless you don't mind everyone viewing the project scaled. We generally create our pieces at 1024x576 (or thereabouts) which leaves plenty of room for recording/viewing and is plenty small enough for our user's available display area, even with lots of browser chrome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is never a good idea to record screens at the maximum resolution of a full HD as yours is.  There are still a lot of users out there with laptops or desktops where 1440 or 1600 is the maximum width they can view.  And (as you have found, recording at full screen does not account for the fact that viewing the same content is a browser will mean part of it is cut off due to the browser 'chrome' and toolbars also taking up space.

The best practice is rather to set your capture size at something you have carefully worked out BEFOREHAND that will be viewable by all members of your target audience on their particular setups.  It would appear that you didn't do this testing before capturing.

Resizing captured content AFTER capturing will result in lost resolution.  It's not recommended.  The better fix is to work out what the capture size needs to be and then recapture all required screens.  Your first capture is probably toast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One solution is when you publish the project you can select HTML Scaling. This will allow your project to scale up or down as needed depending on how much room is within the browser window. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources