• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Fails in Captivate 9

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues lately being unable to publish my courses in CP9.  I have been unable to Preview the course as well.  When I attempt to preview more than the "Next 5 slides," I receive a "fatal error" and CP shuts down.  I have been saving frequently and so far have not lost any work, but I want to preview the work before I go farther.  When I try to publish, I either receive the message "Publish Failed" or receive the fatal error.  The same thing has happened on more than one course that I am working on.  It seems to happen mostly on the courses in which there is a software simulation.  I don't use the "responsive" versions, because our users are not allowed to access anywhere but on the computers at work.  I have tried clearing the cache, if I did it correctly.

Not sure what other information might be helpful to know for anyone who might have suggestions on what to try.  I am looking at trying to get an update to Captivate 2019, but I am waiting for approval for that, which may not come until after I need to have my current project completed.  One thing that may not have any bearing on this particular issue--I was using the program for about 2 years with no issues like this at all.  In July, my laptop had an issue and the IT department had to reimage it.  After that was completed, i was suddenly having the issues with CP9.  I requested that they uninstall and reinstall the program, which seems to have reduced the number of "fatal errors" (It was doing it several times a day for no apparent reason).  It has not stopped it entirely, though, since it still occurs on some occasions when I try to preview or when I try to publish.  Those are the only times that I have the issues now.  Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Hi again. . . . I am trying to narrow this down, and I finally got a course to publish, but I am not sure it's in a format that will work well for us.  I typically published before in a SWF format with a PDF export, because then I could send the output to my trainer team for review.  Now I can only get it to publish in HTML5.  I am not sure if knowing that can help with diagnosis.  Recap of what I tried today.  I have trial version of 2019 on my machine, so tried with both CP9 and 2019 with simi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on the most recent version 9.0.2?

If you're on Win, do you Run CP as Administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it is the most recent version.  I am guessing so, since they just had to put it back on my machine after they reimaged.    I will check on Tuesday when I am back at work.  As for running as an administrator, I tried that, and it won't let me operate as an admin on my machine without the admin password, which is only held by the IT guys.

Kerra Sims

214-732-6513 c

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kerra-sims-43101721

On Friday, October 5, 2018, 5:47:15 PM CDT, Lilybiri <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

created by Lilybiri in Adobe Captivate - View the full discussion

Are you on the most recent version 9.0.2?

If you're on Win, do you Run CP as Administrator?

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10661473#10661473 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10661473#10661473

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Adobe Captivate by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to publish content doesn't usually require you to Run As Administrator.  That becomes more of an issue when you are doing screen capture or some other types of activities with Captivate.  However, unless you want to have continuing issues with Captivate you SHOULD get the IT guys to set up a special profile for you that allows you to at least run Captivate (if not any other apps) with Admin privileges.  The usual way to get them to come to heel on such requests is to tell them (and your manager) that you will be continually bugging them and needing their assistance whenever you have to perform tasks in Captivate.  They may even have to SIT with you and log in with their Admin profile while you direct them to perform tasks, etc, etc.  They won't like the sound of that one bit.

However, if your computer has just been re-imaged and Captivate reinstalled, perhaps the current issue with it crashing is more related to the setup.  Take a look in Edit > Preferences > Default locations.  Are the two fields shown there pointing to folders that are located on your C drive?  Show us a screenshot of that dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have some screen captures in the course that I have the issues with currently.  I believe I was able to publish without the screen captures.  However, from the time that I got CP 9 on my computer in October of 2016 until this summer, I have been creating courses with screen captures (demo and assessment) and have not had an issue.  I had at least 10 courses with different types of captures, I never ran as an administrator, and I never had an issue until now.

This wouldn't even be an issue if much of my original course data had not been lost when they reimaged my machine.  I had some things saved in an alternate drive, but some of the larger projects failed the backup attempt, and these are the ones I am having problems with when I am recreating them.

I will talk to IT about having them set up a profile for me that will allow me to run Captivate as an admin and see if that improves things.  They probably would like it if I bugged them less.  

Both the Default locations are in the C Drive.

Silly question--where do I look to see what version I have?  I can't remember where to find that.

And my last questiondue to frustration with all of thisif I can get them to approve Captivate 2019 to replace CP9, would it make things easier with the screen captures and demos?  I like to use them a lot in our training materials, because frequently our new hires don't get system access until 3 days into training.  When I can screen capture the systems training and let them practice on that, we don't lose 3 days waiting for access, because they can practice in a simulated environment.  If Captivate 2019 will fix this, I will go beg for it.

Thanks

Kerra Sims

On Monday, October 8, 2018, 12:28:22 AM CDT, RodWard <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

created by RodWard in Adobe Captivate - View the full discussion

Just trying to publish content doesn't usually require you to Run As Administrator.  That becomes more of an issue when you are doing screen capture or some other types of activities with Captivate.  However, unless you want to have continuing issues with Captivate you SHOULD get the IT guys to set up a special profile for you that allows you to at least run Captivate (if not any other apps) with Admin privileges.  The usual way to get them to come to heel on such requests is to tell them (and your manager) that you will be continually bugging them and needing their assistance whenever you have to perform tasks in Captivate.  They may even have to SIT with you and log in with their Admin profile while you direct them to perform tasks, etc, etc.  They won't like the sound of that one bit.

However, if your computer has just been re-imaged and Captivate reinstalled, perhaps the current issue with it crashing is more related to the setup.  Take a look in Edit > Preferences > Default locations.  Are the two fields shown there pointing to folders that are located on your C drive?  Show us a screenshot of that dialog.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10664092#10664092 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10664092#10664092

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Captivate version info, look under Help > About Adobe Captivate.

As far as screencapture goes, I've not seen any difference between Cp9 and Cp 2019.  I don't think moving up to the new version would change things.

Your current issue with Captivate crashing after a total re-image of your PC would still seem (to me) to be related to some issue with the installation.

You mentioned that you have tried to Clear Cache, but I would suggest you might also try resetting your Preferences and Layouts folder as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might have figured out the problem.  It looks like the current location of the the project cache is within a program file that is administrator access only.  I think that IT will create a low-level admin profile for me so that I can access that, but if they cannot, will it cause a problem if I create a cache folder outside of that program file?  If I point it to a folder outside that program file, as long as it's not the same folder where the actual projects are housed, will that cause any big issues in the future?

Kerra Sims

214-732-6513 c

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 9:41:21 AM CDT, RodWard <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

For Captivate version info, look under Help > About Adobe Captivate.

As far as screencapture goes, I've not seen any difference between Cp9 and Cp 2019.  I don't think moving up to the new version would change things.

Your current issue with Captivate crashing after a total re-image of your PC would still seem (to me) to be related to some issue with the installation.

You mentioned that you have tried to Clear Cache, but I would suggest you might also try resetting your Preferences and Layouts folder as well.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10667640#10667640 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10667640#10667640

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be correct about the cache folders being in a place that requires admin privileges.  But there is also a special 'Working Folder' that is used for Video Demo cache files.  That also needs to be where you can control it.

Just do as I suggested and create folder at the C: drive root level for the Project Cache, another for Publish Folder, and while you are at it, set up another one there for Screencapture.  Then point your Default Locations to the first two, and set the Project Recording: Video Demo Recording folder to be the third 'Working Folder' one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! That makes sense, and explains why the files without captures will publish now, but the other ones won't. I will do that tomorrow, so I can stop tearing my hair out in frustration. 🙂  still have no clue why those folders are not writable, but as long as I have a solution, I am happy.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM, RodWard<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

You may be correct about the cache folders being in a place that requires admin privileges.  But there is also a special 'Working Folder' that is used for Video Demo cache files.  That also needs to be where you can control it.

Just do as I suggested and create folder at the C: drive root level for the Project Cache, another for Publish Folder, and while you are at it, set up another one there for Screencapture.  Then point your Default Locations to the first two, and set the Project Recording: Video Demo Recording folder to be the third 'Working Folder' one.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10668571#10668571 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10668571#10668571

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. . . . I am trying to narrow this down, and I finally got a course to publish, but I am not sure it's in a format that will work well for us.  I typically published before in a SWF format with a PDF export, because then I could send the output to my trainer team for review.  Now I can only get it to publish in HTML5.  I am not sure if knowing that can help with diagnosis.  Recap of what I tried today.  I have trial version of 2019 on my machine, so tried with both CP9 and 2019 with similar results.

created cache, publish and screen capture folders in the C drive and pointed the Default locations to the correct folders

I got IT to set me up as an admin on my machine just to cover all the bases and am running Captivate as an admin

The course publishes successfully only when I publish for HTML5 with Scalable content.

When I publish with SWF only, SWF with HTML5  or SWF/HTML5 with a PDF export, the publish fails.  We will eventually be loading everything onto GamEffective, a gamification platform.  It worked well with the original courses I created, but I always had SWF output on those.  Also, I need to have my team review everything before I load it to the platform, and I don't know how to do that without the SWF or PDF.   I am probably showing some ignorance here, because I was just doing things the way I had always done them before.  Is there a way I can deliver that HTML5 to my team without it being on an LMS or game platform first?  If there is, then I can just leave this alone for now and publish to HTML5 until I can figure out why the other formats won't cooperate.

Kerra Sims

214-732-6513 c

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 4:42:30 PM CDT, RodWard <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10668571#10668571 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10668571#10668571

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is a bit old and has already been answered, but I had the same issue this morning ("Publish failed"). Maybe what I discovered will help someone else.

This morning I began work on a file that I've been using for over a month and it's been fine. But this morning I got the message "Publish failed" when I tried to preview or publish the file.

I had just added a new slide with some widgets (checkbox, dropdown) to a page and wondered if they were causing the problem. But even when I deleted the widgets--and the entire new slide--the error remained.

Finally, I opened a new blank project and started copying slides several at a time from the project with the error to the new project. Publishing worked! ... until I got to a certain slide (it wasn't even close to the widget slide which I'd since deleted). Then I got the same error. I tried deleting objects one by one from the offending slide, but it didn't help. Only deleting the slide completely got rid of the error.

So I went back to the original project, deleted the offending slide, and recreated it manually. The error disappeared.

I still don't know what caused it, but maybe this troubleshooting strategy will help someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting. This is indeed the workflow we recommend if corruption of a file is supected. I even posted it today as answer yo a question in the portal.  If you are using advanced/shared actions, especially if they are linked to slide events, this may mean a lot of extra work but it is the only way to discover the culprit slide/objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Same issue facinf while publishing the course. I am able to preview it. Publish issue failed issue comes at the time of  Publish.

Can you please help to resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still about CP9? If not please start a new thread and offer some more details of the problem, and if you tried the proposed solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

Started new thread because i am facing issue in Captivate 2019 tool.

Publish Failed issue on Captivate 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I did see the new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources