• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Options that are not SCORM and not FLASH

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to create a stand-alone, interactive training file that can be run on its own?

There are situations where we do not import a training to our LMS. The MP4 files do not allow for interactivity. The Flash executable files no longer work because of Flash deprecation. Is there another publishing option that would allow us to send a training to someone outside the LMS?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best and easiest way is to upload the HTML5 output to a webserver (supporting JSON) and send the URL to the learner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to publish it as  HTML5 output, it saves it as a zip folder with many files in it. When we upload it to an LMS this works well (because it needs to be SCORM compliant). But if we try to save it to an internal site, such as a SharePoint site, it only saves the zip file. We do not have an internal website or CMS.

Is there another way to publish an HTML5 file in a different format (that's not a zip folder)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A SCO is an output format for a LMS and the folder will indeed be zipped automatically.

If you want to upload to a webserver (Sharepoint is NOT a webserver), you have to turn off Reporting under Quiz Preferences. The automatic zipping will not occur, unless you check the option manually. Depending on the webserver setup you'll need to zip or not. I never zip the output folder which will have all the necessary files, but not those needed for reporting and the SCORM requirements. When you upload the output folder to the webserver, you only need to send the url to the index.html file. Here is an example of the most recent tutorial I uploaded to my domain (which acts as my webserver):

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/RemediationLoop/index.html

When you click that URL it will open the tutorial which has question slides but is not set up to report to a LMS. My webserver is not a LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Lilybiri for the individual details! It seems that Captivate will no longer work for our needs, which is really disappointing. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if you find an elearning authoring tool who is not  needing a webserver for HTML5 output please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard Articulate (https://articulate.com/) has this capability, but we have not yet fully researched or purchased their product, so I'm not sure if this is correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your problem is going to be that you need the content to play from SharePoint which only really gives this ability if the content is a single file.  HTML5 e-learning content (regardless of authoring tool) is always made up of a collection of files that all need to work together.  This is not what SharePoint is designed to give.  My current contract role is with a company that uses SharePoint for everything and they have SharePoint developers on board.  However, to run our HTML5 e-learning content outside their LMS we've had to resort to getting space on an internal web server. SharePoint could not do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources