• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question About "Never Send Resume Data"

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want my users to be able to resume where they left off because the course is long, however by doing this when they fail the quiz they can't restart the course.  I'm new to Captivate, as I'm a Storyline user.  Can someone please help me with this.

I looked around the forum, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Please redirect me if I missed this on the forum

Thank you

TOPICS
Advanced , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

If you keep bookmarking, which is set by default when you publish to a SCO, you need to offer multiple attempts on Quiz Level (see Quiz Preferences, Pass and Fail) to allow another attempt by the user when resuming the course.

The option 'Never Send Resume Data' is unchecked by default, which means that bookmarking is turned ON. If you check it you turn bookmarking OFF and the course will always restart from the beginning, not from the location where the user left.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you keep bookmarking, which is set by default when you publish to a SCO, you need to offer multiple attempts on Quiz Level (see Quiz Preferences, Pass and Fail) to allow another attempt by the user when resuming the course.

The option 'Never Send Resume Data' is unchecked by default, which means that bookmarking is turned ON. If you check it you turn bookmarking OFF and the course will always restart from the beginning, not from the location where the user left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, my brain must've stopped working for a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would setting the quiz as multiple attempts bring the users back to last visited page, or to the same page in the quiz, and they can continue?

TIA

Robi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're talking about two different things.  Bookmarking is not directly affected by whether or not the users have multiple attempts allowed on the quiz.  It's related to which slide they were on when they bailed out of the lesson.  The usual behaviour of bookmarking is to send the user back to the same slide from which they left, regardless of how many attempts they might be allowed on the overall quiz.  Giving multiple attempts changes what happens on the Quiz Results slide and whether or not the user can Retake the Quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thank you for your reply. I know that. We have a course with multiple languages in which a learner can select their own language and then take that quiz. We had to turn off bookmarking in CP because if the learner left the course in the middle of the quiz, it would then reopen at the same question, not letting them go back to the course (we are investigating if adding a "back to course" button might be viable). With the bookmarking off, they go back to the beginning, but we want them to be able to go back to where they left (in other courses as well). Not only that, but data about the questions answered before then wouldn't be tracked in our LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Resume Data Bookmarking is working correctly the LMS should be receiving enough data from the SCORM module about the current state of all quiz questions the user has answered to be able to then send this data back to the SCORM when it resumes.  So, when the user leaves the quiz in the middle somewhere, and then later resumes, it should basically restore all of the questions answered up to that slide to their previously answered state since the beginning of that particular attempt.

If the learner was not allowed to go back into the course content when they were inside the quiz, that could be due to a number of other settings.  Does your module have Backward Movement allowed or OFF?  Does it have the Required dropdown set to Optional or set to something more strict like User Must Answer All Questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thank you for your reply. Scoring doesn't work, so we suspect it might an LMS issue if the previous attempts are not saved.

Backward movement is OFF 

Quiz is set as required.

Robi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy enough to find out if the issue IS the LMS.  Just upload the same SCORM to SCORM Cloud and test it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Allow Backward Movement is OFF, that would explain why users cannot leave the quiz and go back into the content slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I can try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Allowing backward movement just lets the user go back one slide. Then we could add a button that bring them back to where we want them to be, which is not necessarily the previous question.

Robi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the Never SEnd Resume Data flag? Do you have a breadcrumb trail I can follow from the open project in Filmstrip view? I'm on Captivate 2019 publishing to HTML and it won't pick up where users leave off all of a sudden. It was doing fine before when we used to publish to HTML/SWF. Also, I don't use a TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never Send Resume Data is found in the Quiz Reporting settings under the Advanced button. 

Are you delivering this content from an LMS?  If so, upload your course to SCORM Cloud and test the same SCORM module there to see if the issue is repeatable on a different LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am, and will try scorm cloud. Our LMS hasn't changed so maybe that flag was checkmarked previously (by default?) and now it isn't. I'll try it, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it still starts the course from the beginning again. I wonder why it was working fine for 2 years on this project and suddenly it's starting from the beginning? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Never Send Resume Data checked or unchecked in your settings?  If you want LMS Resume Data bookmarking to work, then the box must UNchecked. (Checking the box turns off LMS bookmarking.)

Have you tested the same HTML5 SCORM module in SCORM Cloud yet?  I know you feel sure nothing has changed on your LMS but in my experience such changes can happen without everyone being advised.  So testing in another LMS where we KNOW bookmarking can work is an essential part of the debugging process.

Get back to us when you have that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've run it in scorm cloud. New results this time. I got it to work. I cleared the 'Never Send Resume Data' checkmark and set the quiz to go to the next slide after 1 attempt (intentional) instead of 2 attempts. Now wherever I leave off in the course and go back in, it picks up from where I left off. Not sure which combination of tweaks made it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! A little late to this post but we have users who are saying they will exit the course in the middle of it and when they come back in, it restarts them from the beginning. I ensured we have 'never send resume data' unchecked and it's only happening to some users, not all. 

Wondering if the computer's cache automatically clears upon sign off/sign in for users, if they were to go try and start the course from where they previously left off, would that affect the progress of the course that was made? This happens to our users automtically at midnight or if they sign off/in to their profiles. 

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have to tried to set "report data on every slide"?

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources