• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question: Pop up video with close button

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm working on a training and am running into a roadblock with an idea I have. On a single slide, I'm wanting to have videos that are hidden until the user presses a button. I want these videos to show up on the same slide as where the button is. This far in the idea, I'm not having trouble. However, I am having trouble adding a "close" button for the video. Specifically, I'm finding that whether using a traditional button or shape-button, when using multi-states, the buttons/shapes are locked to the exact same position. I'd like to have the "normal" state of the close button to be off screen and then the second state (when the video is playing), be near the top right corner of the video (when not in full-screen mode).

Is this a possibility with Captivate? Thanks!

Captivate version: 11.5.1

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Audio and video , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Just hide it in output, or - better - with the On Enter action of the slide. Show it with the same which shows the Video. If both are hidden at the start, you can even group them and wouldn't need an advanced nor shared action.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Hopefully this explanation will help.

Button A (Show video)

Button B (Hide video)

Button A has actions to both show the video and to show Button B (both are hidden by default with the eye)

Button B has actions to both hide the video and to hide Button B (itself).

You can place Button B on the stage where you want it to appear but it will only function when it is visible.

You can even have Button A hide itself and have Button B show Button A so that only the needed button is visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

For a variable setup - we just use the same button to show and hide the video. You could even change the state of the button to reflect what it will do - like have it read  'Show Video' or 'Hide Video'

In this setup you might have a variable called   toggleVideoA

Then you develop the conditional action for the button to say 

IF  toggleVideoA  equals  0

show videoA

changeState of  button

assign   toggleVideoA  to 1

ELSE 

hide videoA

changeState of button

assign   toggleVideoA  to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InBuilt States are indeed locked to the position for buttons, which seems very logical to me: how would a learner experience a button where the rollover and down state appears elsewhere on the screen? 

I suppose you really need a second button which you can show at the same moment as the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple thoughts/ideas on this...

1. How about implementing a variable for each video/button and using it as a toggle? If video is hidden - show it but if video is visible - hide it.

2. As Lilybiri said - You could also have a second button that is hidden appear at the same time as the video. One button to show the video and the button and the close button will hide the video and itself while the show button remains visible all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, may have misunderstaood but to me it seemed like the OP wants to use the same button but it should be in a different location when the video is open. Another idea would be to apply a motion effect to the button if it is really indispensable to use the same one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I took it the same way but was offering some alternatives to being able to show and hide the videos.

Moving buttons around can have some unintended results so the two options I offered are typically good ways to tackle the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I don’t think my question was clear. I don’t want the “show video” and “close video” to be the same button. I need two separate buttons. However, I’m having trouble fully hiding the “close video” button. That’s why I thought I could just have the “close video” button off screen until I need it. How could I best hide the “close video” button when I don’t want it visible (and considering a multi-state will lock its position)?

The idea of doing a variable is interesting though.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hide it in output, or - better - with the On Enter action of the slide. Show it with the same which shows the Video. If both are hidden at the start, you can even group them and wouldn't need an advanced nor shared action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this explanation will help.

Button A (Show video)

Button B (Hide video)

Button A has actions to both show the video and to show Button B (both are hidden by default with the eye)

Button B has actions to both hide the video and to hide Button B (itself).

You can place Button B on the stage where you want it to appear but it will only function when it is visible.

You can even have Button A hide itself and have Button B show Button A so that only the needed button is visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a variable setup - we just use the same button to show and hide the video. You could even change the state of the button to reflect what it will do - like have it read  'Show Video' or 'Hide Video'

In this setup you might have a variable called   toggleVideoA

Then you develop the conditional action for the button to say 

IF  toggleVideoA  equals  0

show videoA

changeState of  button

assign   toggleVideoA  to 1

ELSE 

hide videoA

changeState of button

assign   toggleVideoA  to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stagprime and Lilybiri! Both your ideas absolutely helped. I was able to get this working today. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well... was really the same idea. You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources