Question slide navigation question

Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out the best way to solve an issue we are having with some courses we've created.

So many of our courses are in this style, watch a video, answer some questions, watch a video, answer some question, etc.

The problem we are running into is being able to navigate away from question slides in order, to say, re-watch the video.

So we enable backwards movement on the quiz. This works fine except when you've already answered a question. If you end up back on a question screen already answered you can't progress forward from it. We can enable TOC to do this but that makes it even more confusing because if you end up on a question screen and DO NOT answer the question, the TOC marks it with a checkbox which to people taking the course, looks like you did it already when you didn't.

We tried putting the play bar on question slides but that is a bigger disaster because you can navigate forward without actually answering the question.

So people end up all over the place and or stuck.

I suspect this is our fault and are missing some setting somewhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Question slide navigation question

Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out the best way to solve an issue we are having with some courses we've created.

So many of our courses are in this style, watch a video, answer some questions, watch a video, answer some question, etc.

The problem we are running into is being able to navigate away from question slides in order, to say, re-watch the video.

So we enable backwards movement on the quiz. This works fine except when you've already answered a question. If you end up back on a question screen already answered you can't progress forward from it. We can enable TOC to do this but that makes it even more confusing because if you end up on a question screen and DO NOT answer the question, the TOC marks it with a checkbox which to people taking the course, looks like you did it already when you didn't.

We tried putting the play bar on question slides but that is a bigger disaster because you can navigate forward without actually answering the question.

So people end up all over the place and or stuck.

I suspect this is our fault and are missing some setting somewhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design of quiz slides is that way: if you move away from a quiz slide, all attempts are considered to be exhausted.

Possible solutions:

• Use the Submit All feature, where all answers are submitted at once at the end. That allows free navigation between questions.
  • Use the Remediation feature, as described in this video (I prefer this original one over later created clones):
    Remediation in Quizzing -AdobeCaptivate 6 - YouTube

Last possibility, but probably too much work; use custom quiz slides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we allow infinite attempts does that change anything? We allow people to try until they get it right (not my requirement)

It is really just that forward movement from a question already answered that is the sticking point.

Can we use javascript to check if the question was already answered and if so show a next button?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case the Remediation is the way to go, have a look at that video. On failure the learner is sent to another slide (in your case the video slide), and after that slide navigated back to the question, where he can have another attempt. Learner can only proceed when the question is answered correctly. You'll just need a Next button on the video slide with the command 'Return to Quiz'. On first visit of the video (before answering the question) the Next button will keep its default command 'Go to Next Slide, no need for advanced actions nor JS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so another question is with the submit all. If you submit all and you fail and you want to allow review, once you hit review you can never click retake again. I assume you need to let your LMS handle the retake at that point?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not only the case for Submit all, but in any situation: if you use the Review button on the Score slide you lose all further attempts on quiz level. Reason is logical: the default Review setup shows the correct answers as well, not only the given answer. To avoid cheating, you shouldn't allow Retake after Review. For that reason I always recommend to drag the Review button under the Retake button.

If you want, you can create a custom review slide, which will only show the given answers, with an indicator if the answer was correct/wrong and no correct answers. It is a bit of work, but I wrote out a workflow:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2017/12/review-before-retake/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my next thing, if possible, is some javascript. What CP command or variable can be accessed on the quiz slide upon entering to see if the question has been answered or not?

I understand JS, I don't see anything in your docs about access specific question slide details.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find a complete list with quizzing system variables in another blog post:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2017/03/creative-with-quizzing-system-variables/

There is no exposed system variable like you explain. You have the system variables cpQuizInfoLastSlidePointScored. Why you immediately want to switch to JS is a mystery to me. Unless you want to use a non-exposed system variable, most is perfectly possible with advanced or shared actions. Those will be converted to JS on runtime. I have no idea if there is a non-exposed system variable that you can access with JS to do what you want. Why do you need it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a point here about Remediation and Return to Quiz.  You mention that you have your quiz questions set to Infinite Attempts.  If so, the Failure action will never fire to send them back to the remediation slide.  On quiz questions the failure action only fires after the last allowed attempt.  With infinite attempts you never give the learner the chance to fail the question by entering an incorrect answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 1
Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, I don't think this is a problem with quiz slides, although it still is with D&D slides. Since several versions the Failure action is no longer indicated as Failure action but as 'Last Attempt' action. Moreover with Infinite attempts, where this action never occurs, it is ​dimmed.​ I just wished this were the same for a D&D slide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2018 0
Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it IS definitely a problem with Quiz Slides. I tested this to make sure before answering earlier. 

I set up a new project with a second slide set with a button set to Return to Quiz and a single True/False quiz question set to Infinite Attempts.  As soon as you set Infinite Attempts on the quiz slide, then the option to set any action for On Last Attempt (call it Failure if you want) disappears.  You can set up to three failure messages that will appear each time the user fails to answer correctly, but there is no longer any way to execute the action to jump to that earlier remediation slide. 

So unless Chad changes the number of attempts to a fixed number, remediation and return to quiz are off the table.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2018 1
Lilybiri LATEST
Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Rod, I misinterpreted your answer.

If OP is using the Remediation feature, the number of attempts has indeed to be set to a fixed number, but the result is the same as for Infintite attempts: the learner will not be able to continue until he has answered correctly.

My apologies.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2018 0