• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question slides and Click to continue

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are creating Test Your Knowledge questions in our modules. These are not scored, reported, tallied, or kept track of. They are placed every 10 slides or so to give the student an idea of what they are retaining. What I want is to display a custom message for success or failure. The message displays the correct answer as it appears in the module. I can accomplish this with no issues. My problem is with moving to the next page. As of right now, I am extending the slide duration to 10 seconds before it continues to the next page. This can be too long in some cases and too short in others (depends on the answer). 

Is there a way to be able to add a "click anywhere", or "click Y", function through advanced actions? If I add the "Next" button it allows the student to skip the question, which we do not want to allow. We are not using the default message as they are ugly and as far as I can tell, cannot be customized for each page. If they can that might solve my issue. 

We are using Captivate 8 because of reasons. It is what we have and that can't change. 

So to recap; The student comes to a TYK question slide. It is multiple choice. They select the incorrect answer. They are told to try again (we give them 2 chances). They select the incorrect answer again. At this point, a message box shows telling them that they are incorrect and giving them the correct answer. At this point I want them to be able to click when they are ready to go to the next slide. Not everyone reads at the same speed and just having the slide jump to the next one after xx seconds might leave some students without being able to get the information. Putting too long of a pause is just painful to sit through.  The same thing happens if they get the answer correct. We display a message and reinforce the correct answer. Here again, I want them to be able to click to continue. 

Originally we had it so when they got the answer wrong it jumped to the slide that had the correct answer so they could review. Now in HTML5 the widget that we used to reset the questions when the student returned to the slide to try again will not work. If I have the module jump to the slide with the correct answer I cannot figure out a way to reset the questions so they can answer again.  

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

CP8 is very old, so some of my answers may not fit. You probably don't have the real Knowledge Check slides?

You seem to make it much more complicated than necessary. The default messages for Success and Failure can be customized as much as you want, and you'll keep the default two-step Submit process.

I don't know if you have text captions or shapes used for the messages? It may still be captions by default, but you should be able to switch to shapes in Preferences in that case. Shapes are mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CP8 is very old, so some of my answers may not fit. You probably don't have the real Knowledge Check slides?

You seem to make it much more complicated than necessary. The default messages for Success and Failure can be customized as much as you want, and you'll keep the default two-step Submit process.

I don't know if you have text captions or shapes used for the messages? It may still be captions by default, but you should be able to switch to shapes in Preferences in that case. Shapes are much more flexible to style, and you can even use images as fill in shapes. That would be the simplest solution. And since you can have up to 3 Failure messages you are completely set.

The second step of the Submit process is just meant to release the playhead when the messages have been viewed. You probably deleted the default messages which meant that you lost the first step where the playhead is paused. You will need to add an interactive object with a pausing point occurring after the default pausing point of the quiz slide. Since custom items are below the embedded objects of the quiz slides, and the old type of buttons are not allowed on quiz slides, I would recommend to add a shape button with a timeline which starts after the pausing point. You can label that button as Next, since it will appear only after the answer has been submitted.  Not sure if exactly your use case is treated in one of my blogs. Have a look at:

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

Quiz Tweak 4: Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now don't I feel foolish. I was indeed making it way more complicated than needed. I was just totally unaware that you could change the message on an individual basis. I thought they were changed in preferences and would be a global thing. Simply changing the messages on the slide did exactly what I needed.

This is what happens when you let unqualified people play with software unsupervised. 

Thank you so much for the help on this!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe this will help you not to feel foolish. I have been blogging since about 12 years, and all quiz blogs (have over 30) are amongst the most viewed. There are many questions about quizzing... probably the Help documentation will not solve all of them.

I often have to do short training sessions about Quizzing as well, and at those occassions I very often hear what you are experienced now: why didn't I know that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources