• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question slides that jump upon success to a specific slide depending on what the previous slide was

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new using captivate, I did a simple project earlier, but now I'm working on something a little more complex.

For this project, 3 paths are available to the learners. They can only choose one of these.

These 3 paths are made up of 4 information slides and 4 question slides that alternate that way: Info, Quest, Info, Quest, Info, Quest, Info, Quest. What that means, is that there are 12 different information slides.

But what about the question slides? Do I have to make 12 too? Or can I make only 4 of them, and tell them to go, upon success, on a specific slide depending on what the previous slide was? (something like, if previous slide was number 1, upon success go to number 3 or if previous slide was number 9, upon success go to number 11 or if previous slide was number 17, upon success go to number 19)

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Not sure to understand. This is what I get:

• There are 3 paths, each has 4 content slides. 
  • There are only 4 question slides, and same question slides are used for each path
  • You want always a sequence content-question

It is important to remain in the quiz scope. You don't tell what has to happen with a Failure on the question slides?

If you have three groups:

1. Content group 1: slides 1-4
  2. Content group 2: slides 5-8
  3. Content group 3: slides 9-12
  4. Question group: slides 13-16

In that set up you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

You will need to create one user variable. Open Project, Variables. Click 'Add new'. Type 'v_slide' in the field Name. Click the Save button.

For the Next buttons: it is a simple action from the dropdown list in the Actions tab of the button. You can choose whatever type of button you like.

For the Expression action that is not possible, you need to:

• Open Project, Advanced Actions.
  • Type an Action name, maybe EnterSlide
  • Double click in the second column, click E couple of times until you see 'Ex

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure to understand. This is what I get:

• There are 3 paths, each has 4 content slides. 
  • There are only 4 question slides, and same question slides are used for each path
  • You want always a sequence content-question

It is important to remain in the quiz scope. You don't tell what has to happen with a Failure on the question slides?

If you have three groups:

1. Content group 1: slides 1-4
  2. Content group 2: slides 5-8
  3. Content group 3: slides 9-12
  4. Question group: slides 13-16

In that set up you would need:

1. For the next button on the first content slide of each group: 'Jump to slide 13'
  2. For the next button on the second content slide...   'Jump to slide 14'   etc

For slides 13-15, an advanced action On Enter which uses a user variable v_slide:

Expression v_slide = cpInfoLastVistedSlide +1

For the Success (and the Failure action):

Jump to v_slide

The last question slide (16) will be followed by the score slide and an end slide. Always use an extra slide after the results slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, that's exaclty what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works, could you mark the answer as being correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will when I try it. I'm not quite there yet, and I'm not familiar with variables and advanced actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to create one user variable. Open Project, Variables. Click 'Add new'. Type 'v_slide' in the field Name. Click the Save button.

For the Next buttons: it is a simple action from the dropdown list in the Actions tab of the button. You can choose whatever type of button you like.

For the Expression action that is not possible, you need to:

• Open Project, Advanced Actions.
  • Type an Action name, maybe EnterSlide
  • Double click in the second column, click E couple of times until you see 'Expression' and confirm with enter
  • In the third column, choose 'variable' from the dropdown list and choose v_slide (which is the user variable you have created) 
  • After = do the same but choose cpInfoLastVisitedSlide
  • Open the dropdown list with the operators and choose +
  • End with a 'literal' after the operator and type '1'
    EnterSlide.PNG
  • Save the action and close the dialog box
  • Select the slides 13-15 in the Filmstrip
  • In the Actions tab for Enter choose 'Execute Advanced Action'
  • There is only one action 'EnterSlide', confirm with Enter

I think you can do the rest which is not about advanced actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That's really clear! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, one more question, can this work with random question slides?

I made the variable and I built the advanced action.

On the random question slide, I cannot say what the enter action is. I can only do that on the question slide that is in my question group that I imported with my csv file.

And I can only say what the success action is on the random question slide...

I did all that, but it doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You forgot the most important information. This is the first time I hear that your question slides are random slides from a question pool. That is a totally different situation.

You need to apply the actions to ALL questions in the question pool, since you don't know which one will be appear for the learner. I hope that all the questions in that pool use the same content slide to navigate to or this will become a complete chaos.

Please offer full information when you ask a question. Have a look at this blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/random-questions-dos-and-donts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources