Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick way to remove advanced actions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created a module that has over 100 advanced actions throughout. I use the same template with some modifications for the next module I'm creating.

What I have been doing is a save as and rename the module. Then I delete all but a few of the slides that I will use as guides for the next module I'll be creating.

The problem is that I still have all 100 of the advanced actions. I am wondering if there is a quick and easy way to remove them from my new template.

Your help would be appreciated.

Tricia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but no. You'll need to delete them manually.

Worse still, in some versions of Captivate you may find that by not disconncting the Actions first from slides where the are used will prevent you from deleting them, even though the slides no longer exist in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something very important is missing in your question: which version do you use? If you don't know me, I have been blogging since 4 years about advanced actions (and now about shared actions), but never had a template with over 100 advanced actions, you should have seen my face when I read this .

Long time ago, a template was the only way to reuse advanced actions, this was/is a very popular article: Template for reusing script? - Captivate blog

And managing all those actions, especially if they were not very well documented (which is a pain in Captivate) or not well...sorry... designed, is very hard.

In CP8.0.1 it is not only possible to have shared actions, but if you copy/paste a slide or an interactive object that has an attached advanced action the action will be included in the copy. My present work flow is to have much used shared actions in a separate file (not a template, a cptl-file). Contrary to advanced actions, shared actions appear in the Library and can be managed there: deleting them is a breeze, you have a Usage button like for other objects. I open that special file as an External Library in any other project. When you drag the shared action that you need to your new project, it will appear in the Library, and if variables are used in that action those variables will be created automatically.

All this is not possible with advanced actions, no easy way to delete or manage them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for your reply. Shared actions seem to add an extra step, but it might be worth it to not have to delete the advanced actions.

Hopefully, I have created the actions well. A lot of them are show/hide interactions so they aren't that complicated.

I am using the newest version Cap 8.0.1 I guess.  I have a monthly subscription.  Thanks.

Tricia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not an extra step at all, and not appropriate for all situations. But it needs some other way of thinking and preparing. I have several articles on my blog about Shared Actions, maybe they'll offer some clarification. Help documentation is as usual very limited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources