• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Send email" action not working with Chrome

New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, In a text box, I’ve added a ‘send email’ hyperlink. It works perfectly in IE but not in Chrome. Have you experienced this pb already? Thanks! Céline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you confirm the version of Captivate, OS and browsers?

Can you add a screenshot that shows the method you used to add the email link?

This would help us guide you more efficiently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mos recent version of Chrome has built in a lot of limitations (like AutoPlay) without any warning. Probably the easiest way is to recommend to use another browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. This no longer functions and I would agree with Lieve that this is related to the security updates in Chrome. I would not expect this to get corrected since the issue is on Chrome's side and not Adobe.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a scripting workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would be interesting to get a script.

And unfortunately, I cannot recommend my learners to use another browser as CHrome seems to be the only one enabling the video fullscreen function.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing here.

Captivate's Send Email action does NOT actually send an email.  All it can do is potentially spawn a new email IF the end user currently has a compatible email client application on their system.  That means something like Outlook or similar that will open a new email ready for you (the user) to complete and then hit SEND to make it go.  The Send Email action is really little more than a mailto: link in a web page.

If you were hoping that the Send Email function would be capable of automating the process of opening, configuring, completing, and then sending an email object to an email gateway WITHOUT the learner's interaction, then you'd be disappointed.

It is possible, with good JavaScripting skills, to put together something that would do this.  But most people that are incorporating this kind of functionality in their e-learning lessons are using server-side scripting rather than client side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rod,

Thanks for the clarification.

That's exactly the mailto action that I want to get (we have something equivalent to outlook taking care of the rest). It does work in IE (opening our email tool) but not in Chrome.

Would you know how to solve that?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue (as I understand it) is that Chrome is not an email client and unless the end user's OS knows what to do with a mailto link, nothing happens.  When you click on a mailto link in IE or EDGE it seems to know to look for Outlook.  But Chrome isn't getting the same love from the Windows OS.

This particular issue is not really all that new with Chrome.  If you do some Googling you will find threads on forums that date back several years. Take a look at this example:

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/24862-mailto-browsers-not-working.html#post424855

Here's one that describes changing the settings in Chrome:

How to Set Gmail as Your Browser's Default Email Client for Mailto Links

It seems that this might end up being something that requires end users to change configuration settings in their Windows OS in order to get it working.  I don't think this is an Adobe Captivate issue if it will work in one browser but not another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources