Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover missing layout preview options Captivate 2019

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all

I set specifications for a custom layout in Captivate 2019, and since then the original Desktop option in the layout preview drop down menu has disappeared. I searched for a solution in the forums and online. Various solutions were offered but none have worked. I am using Win 10 with the latest, updated, version of Captivate 2019. Solutions already tried include the usual switch-it-off-and-on; delete the custom option I created; clear the cache by clicking on the batch file "CleanPreferencesWin.bat" in the Utils folder in the Captivate program files (see screen shot);

captivate3.PNG

checking the "DeviceList.xml" file in the Captivate program folder which after all changes still shows "Desktop" as an option although it does not show in the options in the program (see screenshots);

captivate4.PNG

captivate5.PNG

and, shutting down Captivate and restarting my computer after each step. You can see in the screenshot that "Desktop" is still missing as an option. The question is how do I recover the layout preview menu to its original specification?

captivate2.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

That is strange because I really doublle-checked before posting my answer (since I was not sure).

Very busy at this moment, have an online training session to prepare. If I find another solution, will be back.

Just a stupid idea: can you click the + sign and try to rename to 'Desktop'?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have issues with the terminology. What do you mean by 'layout'? Is that a custom browser resolution? A master side? A theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. As in the last screenshot. The drop down menu labeled "Layout Preview". When I first loaded Captivate 2019 there was an option "Desktop" in the drop down menu (and it still shows in the DeviceList.xml file). It is now missing from the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that screenshot I see that you did replace the Desktop  by a Custom resolution, but the shown resolution is the same as the default desktop resolution "1024x627".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks yes, but I want the word "Desktop" back again so that the program is like it was when I started. Is that possible? The strange thing is that it still shows as "Desktop" in the DeviceList.xml file. If not possible, I will live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is one of those features in Fluid Boxes where I have no idea how to restore it in the present project: it is obviously not IN the Preferences which have custom features and iitems. It is not in the Theme, where I would exect it to be since it iis design-related. Switching to another theme doesn't fix it.

The good news is that it is only embedded in the present project. If you open a new responsive project, you'll have the indicator Desktop back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just shut down Captivate completely and started a new responsive project from scratch. Still gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange because I really doublle-checked before posting my answer (since I was not sure).

Very busy at this moment, have an online training session to prepare. If I find another solution, will be back.

Just a stupid idea: can you click the + sign and try to rename to 'Desktop'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. Obviously this isn't a crisis, so please don't put yourself out. It's 17:00 where I am, so I will be leaving office in about 90 minutes anyway, and will pick up again tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried your "stupid idea". It worked! Not so "stupid" after all. Thanks. Correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just my Captivate intuition (I am a 'gal').

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources