• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remediation in a course with multiple content slides and question slides

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goal is to build a course that consists of ~20 content slides (each has a short video lecture), followed by several questions each to compose one big quiz, each answer is counted toward the grade.

So, my current setup is as follows:

• Each lecture slide is followed by 1-3 question slides.
  • One attempt is allowed per each question.
  • All questions must be answered correctly before a user can move on to the next content slide.
  • Each lecture is preceded by another content slide and has a "Next" button with "Return to Quiz"  On success action.
  • On failure to answer a question correctly, the user is redirected to the preceding lecture slide to review the lecture. Then the user is redirected back to the failed question slide (via a "Next" button) and has the next attempt at answering the question.

I understand the remediation scenario and was able to set up the first lecture slide, followed by 3 question slides, and it all works the way I want. The lecture slide's  "Next" button works properly depending on where the user came to the lecture slide from.

However, when the user finally arrives to the next lecture slide, as soon as they click the "Next" button on that slide, they are taken back to the last answered question slide - in my case it's the third question slide after the first lecture slide. The loop closes right there.

Basically, there is no way for the user to move past the second lecture slide.

Why does the "Next" button on the second lecture slide fail to go to the first question slide that follows?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Lyolya

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Captivate remediation with failure - Part 1 - monkeylogic blog

Captivate remediation with failure part 2 - monkeylogic blog

Lilybiri, I think the solution to my problems is very well explained in the blog posts above that I found late last night. With some modifications I was able to get my course working just as I originally planned.

Here's what my course structure/functionality looks like now in my test file:

Title Slide

Video Lecture 1

Quiz1 Questions (tested with 2 multiple choice questions, 3 pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Captivate 9, trial version. Will or will not purchase depending on whether I can make it do what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, with the help of someone who knows scripting and with a revised course scenario, I have got the quiz to work with some variables and advanced actions. But now the scoring doesn't work and the Retake Quiz button isn't working either.

Here's the revised course scenario:

• All video lectures are at the beginning of the course.
  • All questions slides are after the last video lecture.
  • On each question slide only 1 attempt is allowed.
  • Infinite attempts are allowed to retake the quiz, the Show Retake Button box is checked.
  • In quiz preferences a user is required to take the quiz. (second option down is selected)
  • Each question slide is working like this: first incorrect answer take the user back to the relevant video lecture, and from that slide the "Return to Quiz" action assigned to the "NEXT" button takes them back to the question for another shot at answering. If the question is incorrectly answered again, the user is taken to the next question slide. (the scoring function is supposed to record that incorrectly answered question as failed) Correct answer takes the user to the next question slide as well.

So, when testing and answering several questions correctly, I get this kind of result (oh and I cannot click the Retake Quiz button, which didn't make it to this screenshot):

quiz results.PNG

So, what, do you think, is messing up the scoring in this case?

Thanks,

Lyolya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remediation is not supposed to work like you did, that could be the reason. You didn't specify how it was set up that after the second failure the default remediation work flow is broken, can you give more details about that? Default remediation work flow is that the user is navigated to a content slide, then the Next button will navigate back to the question slide and this is repeated until the question is answered correctly.  You could test to see if you are leaving the quiz scope by inserting the system variable cpInQuizScope in a text container, and display it for the rest of the project always on top.

Another possiblity is that you have deleted embedded objects in quiz or score slides.

I would try to reset the Required option in Quiz Preferences to Optional, because the requirement you have chosen could also cause issues. SInce you provided Infinite attempts on Quiz level, that can be used to force the user to pass the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, thanks for answering.

The remediation workflow is broken by the advanced action that increments the user variable attached to the Submit button on the question slide. Once the variable increments to 2 (second attempt), it resets and the user is taken to the next question slide instead of back to the content slide. We only want to give 1 original attempt (for this remediation flow works well) and then 1 more attempt to answer after the user has reviewed the video lecture. On question slides, the attempts are limited to 1. Another advanced action also resets the variable if the answer is correct.

I don't believe I deleted any embedded objects anywhere. Right now my test setup is barebones, no customization whatsoever, I only added the NEXT button to the content slides but have not deleted anything.

I am going to try to reset the Required option in Quiz Preferences to Optional just to see if I can get the scoring to work. However, our users will definitely be required to take the quiz in real life.

Meanwhile, please take a look at some screenshots.

Here's a screenshot of the question slide setup:

Quiz level.PNG

Here are the action breakdown screenshots:

quiz1button_1.PNG

quiz1button_2.PNG

quiz1button_3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the course a few more times. It looks like if I answer all the questions correctly on the first try, the scoring works fine, regardless of the chosen "Required:" setting in quiz preferences. It's when any questions are answered incorrectly and the remediation flow kicks in, the scoring stops working, even if some questions have been answered correctly on the second attempt. Not sure what else I can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably didn't read my last answer yet? Of course, if you don't need remediation it will work.  Captivate expects another way of using remediation: just a simple action 'Jump to slide' as Failure action. Since you use an advanced action to jump to the content slide, you should also use an advanced action to return to the quiz slide.  But the normal behavior of a question  slide is that once you leave the slide, the attempts on question level are considered to be exhausted, the question is locked. The only possiblity to override that is with the default Remediation work flow. Since you break that work flow, Captivate will ot register a value for the score, it seems like it is confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing with a displayed cpQuizInfoScope variable revealed that the I am within scope from the first time I land on the first question slide.

In fact I tested with all scoring-related variables displayed for the duration of the project.  Total Unanswered Questions increments when the Return to Quiz action is executed (as you mentioned). Some variables wouldn't even get displayed BTW. 

Now, on to creating a custom conditional action to simulate the Return to Quiz action.

Lilybiri, could you please give me a hint on how I can make the question slide reset, so a question could be attempted again?

This is the only stumbling block I have right now for creating a conditional action that will give user one more chance to answer the question after reviewing the video lecture.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry not to have been clear enough in my previous answers. There must be a reason why the many pages I have been writing about Quizzes and their limitations are so popular.  it is not that astonishing that I cannot explain everything in depth in this thread.

keep ans

To answer your last question: there is no way to reset the answers on a question slide if you left it. The only way to reset all quiz slides at once is with the Retake button on the Score slide. Remediation is the other way to keep the answer, and allow the user to change it when returning from a content slide, but you have to 'obey' the strict rules for remediation as I explained. Breaking those rules will lead to your present problems as you discovered: the quizzing system variables will not be updated.

As for possbile workarounds? Replace the jump to the content slide by a popup on the question slide and allow two attempts on question level. That way you do not leave the question slide and keep the normal reporting to LMS.

I have another idea, still to explore in depth (and then let others steal my ideas, like happens a lot by some 'experts'): using Knowledge Check slides. Those are reset automatically when leaving the slide, returning from a content slide will allow a new attempt. However: those knowledge slides are not scored, they are not recorded in quizzing system variables. To have a scoe, there could be a tweak, but I suspect that reporting the given answers to a LMS will be an issue.

Because Knowledge Check slides only appeared in the last version of Captivate, for use cases like yours in previous versions I created custom questio slides. It was not possible to achieve this with the default question slides because of their very strict rules.

A long answer with probably a big disappointment for you. Sorry about that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate remediation with failure - Part 1 - monkeylogic blog

Captivate remediation with failure part 2 - monkeylogic blog

Lilybiri, I think the solution to my problems is very well explained in the blog posts above that I found late last night. With some modifications I was able to get my course working just as I originally planned.

Here's what my course structure/functionality looks like now in my test file:

Title Slide

Video Lecture 1

Quiz1 Questions (tested with 2 multiple choice questions, 3 possible answers each) - return to Video Lecture 1 upon first incorrect answer; jump to Video Lecture 2 on success OR upon second incorrect answer.

Video Lecture 2

Quiz2 Questions (tested with 2 multiple choice questions, 3 possible answers each) - return to Video Lecture 2 upon first incorrect answer; jump to Video Lecture 3 on success OR upon second incorrect answer.

Video Lecture 3

...and so on.

The scoring works, too!!!

I am actually very excited to have found a solution to what seemed like an impossible feat. Thank you for all your help, I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. As a completely new Captivate user, I feel that I have learned a lot in this past week, both through your input and that of many other generous people on the web.

Thanks,

Lyolya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I found a way with Knowledge Check slides as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your solution have the scoring working as well? It would be cool if you could post it here or on your blog!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, but it is more cumbersome than the work flow that you found here. Because a lot of my ideas have literally be stolen by other 'experts' I am not ready at posting every solution anymore. Ethics are not very high priority in the USA, compared with Europe where this would be considered a crime.

As for your solution, just another tip: you can use Shared actions, which were not possible yet when that blog post was written. That will make applying the actions a lot easier if you have a lot of question slides. You can read several articles on my blog as intro to shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK then. Thanks for the tip on Shared actions. I will definitely save all the test file actions to be used in the actual final course project. And yes, I will have over 40 question slides eventually, so, again, this will be very useful.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try testing if you remain in the quiz scope. You can also insert the system var cpQuizInfoPointsscored to see if it is updating as expected.

Since you are not using the way remediation is supposed to work: with a simple Jump to on Failure, I suspect that is the cause of the NaN values. I would not use 'Return to Quiz' command, for the Next button on the content slide, but use a conditional advanced action there as well (on second visit, jump to the question slide). You have to make sure to remain in the quiz scope.

Tip: to show a full preview of a conditional advanced action, which is very useful once you have more than one decision, use the First button (looks like a Play button) in the control panel top right of the Advanced Actions dialog box. It is much easier to read than different screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip on previewing the conditional action, very helpful!

I will do some more testing with your suggestions later today and report here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources