• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove The Play button & White Screen that shows on mobile Adobe Captivate 2017

New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to Remove The Play button & White Screen that shows on mobile devices with Adobe Captivate 2017. In desktop it's ok, because works autoplay, but on mobile not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some mobile devices and some mobile operating system version (e.g. iOS) do not allow autoplay.  There may be code hacks to get around it.  But the bottom line is that this is not really a Captivate issue.

If you want to read more about the interesting history of this issue:

New <video> Policies for iOS | WebKit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot get rid of the Play button, but you can replace the white screen by a poster image:

PosterImage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri, you have no idea how much new ideas this solution brings for my products. When I played around a bit with it I will share some stuff here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod reply sums it up.

There are hacks to get around it, but in my experience, it then causes other issues, like audio not playing.

A more elegant solution is the change the button to a full screen button that has text that introduces the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that's a great idea!  I'm putting THAT one in my next book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I saw your reply about a big white (video style) play button appearing on the screen (mine is not a mobile device). I have just come across the same thing, I think. Your solution was to change the button to one with text or make it full-screen and introduce the course. How would I do this?

AR

Harpers Ferry, WV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read this blog post:

Get rid of White start screen with Black button (HTML output) - eLearning

Most embedded tutorials on my blog use that approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, thanks for the link!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help somebody. You can actually replace the Play button's appearance with something of your own choice. Find the  "Play_icon.png" file and change its appearance in Photoshop or similar program with something else (eg. START TEST). The file is  located in the ...assets/htmlimages directory. Note! The dimensions of the icon must remain the same as original (96x96px)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My approach is simiilar but sightly different. I replaced that icon by an invisible image. When I add a poster image I will have a clear indication where to click in the center of the poster image. That way it is easier to fit it in the design, and the interactivity is maintained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea! Thank for sharing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that this Play_icon.png is actually 116 px by 116 px rather than 96px by 96px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question ... I've created a faux landing slide image (and hidden the original slide), and set this to appear at the start of the module.

However, when played (and I've only tested using the HTML5 in Browser preview option) the image is dulled like it hasn't loaded fully.

For comparison, the colours should look like this:

Any thoughts on what's causing this and/or whether there's a way to show the image properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same experience, don't remember this to happen in CP9, will log a bug. Have a look at this movie: the Poster image is the same as the first slide. The difference is very celar, especially since I use a dark background:

SharedActions

I got feedback on my bug report. The dimming of the poster image is 'by design'. It is menat just to highlight the transparent play button provided automatically from Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Preferences > Project > Start and End settings set to have a Fade In on the First Slide?

If so, deselect that option. It may be that the slide timeline is being paused just before the slide has completely reached 100% opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, you must have missed my answer. I never use Fade in. It is by desing: poster image is automatically dimmed to make the Play button visible (it is always black). No workaround at this moment, logged a feature request, never use that image for the play button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that setting is coming from ../assets/js/CPM.js file:

cp.autoplayImage.style.opacity=0.7

I have not tested, but would assume changing 0.7 to 1 would be 100% opaque as would be the case in a CSS opacity selector statement.

Having said that, the file is auto-generated (and minified) on publish and generally should not be modified unless you're comfortable with JavaScript. And, you would need to modify it every time you publish.

You may be able to override it in the CPLibraryAll.css file with !important flag and using it's HTML ID:

#autoplayImage {

opacity: 1 !important;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that workflow. However, from what I was explained, it could be that the Play button is hidden in that case. That is nor a problem for me, because I have a workaround myself to avoid that (ugly) play button but could be a problem for the user in this thread especially if the background is dark (like the one in my movie).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks, Lieve. It would be nice to have more control over these elements in the future so we wouldn't have to do a jig every time we publish, or, in your case, create a workflow to avoid that ugly (hahaha) play button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works fine, thanks for the tip! I want to write a blog post about the workfflow for a poster image and hiding the (ugly) play button.  I would like to include our tip, if you agree, but I will pay credit to you of course!

Have a look at this two short movies, published as rescalable HTML:

DimmedPoster

NotDimmed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, Lieve! You don't even need to credit me. Just happy if it can help someone in the future. Your blog posts have helped me out, tremendously, so thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You are becoming a great help on the forums, thanks for that. Will mention your name, I could not have found that myself being not much of a programmer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the Captivate April 2018 update has forced this play button at the start of all courses now, both desktop and mobile. Has anyone found out how to get rid of this permanently yet?

I think i might be rolling back my version of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has changed the default on Autoplay due to recent browser updates that have discontinued auto-playing media in web pages. Here is the post about that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/captivate-responsive-courses-not-autoplay-browsers.html

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources