• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace Image in Image Button

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This frustratingly gets even more broken when using images as image buttons.

I had to make a change to a few images that are used as 'Image Button'.

Update the image in library had NO EFFECT on the image in the button - captivate does not recognise an Image Button as an image - so it looks like each one has to be individually saved as a different name (because using the same name has no effect), brought into the library and then added as the image for the button. This is beyond frustrating.

If I am wrong and there is an easy solution for this problem, I would love to hear it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

I branched your question to an individual thread, because this is totally different from the one you added it to which was about replacing images, but not in an image button.

Since Captivate 6 I never used imae buttons anymore because of the very cumbersome workflow to create them and the issue you are mentinoing here. Replace them by a shape filled with an image (where you can easily replace the image in each state from within Captivate) or if you are using the most recent release, use the image

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I branched your question to an individual thread, because this is totally different from the one you added it to which was about replacing images, but not in an image button.

Since Captivate 6 I never used imae buttons anymore because of the very cumbersome workflow to create them and the issue you are mentinoing here. Replace them by a shape filled with an image (where you can easily replace the image in each state from within Captivate) or if you are using the most recent release, use the image itself as button.

Image buttons have no link whatsoever with items in the Library.... either you didn't explain clearly or the term 'image button' is wrong. Have a look at this overview of the button types:

Button Types

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I think your solution of creating shapes, using as button and then fill as image is the best way.

I still think that this a fairly lengthy process (especially as the state for each button has to be changed) and seems to be work around for something that should work better - Image Buttons.

My main frustration was that I had spent so long creating over 20 individual Image Buttons for a project only to realise that there is no easy way to update the image in the button, hence having to almost start again.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disagree completely, and I will try to explain by comparing Image buttons with shape buttons:

1. Creation: for Image buttons you need a graphics application, where you create 3 images of same size, which need to have identical names except for _up, _over, _down. Lengthy process, cannot be done in Captivate.
    Shape buttons can be created in Cp: import the images to the Library and use them to fill the shape.
    Only drawback:  snce 'fit shape to image' is lacking you have to be careful with the shape size.Label: no label is possible in an Image button it needs to be part of the image.
    For shape button: double click the shape and add a label with full formatting possible.
  2. Use: Image button can not be used on master slides, cannot be timed for the rest of the project. It cannot be added as extra button the quiz/score slides, can be used as embedded button type for those slides.
    Shape button can be used on Master slides, can be timed for the rest of the project, can be used as extra button on quiz/score slides. Cannot be used as embedded buttons (but transparent button can have exactly same look/style)
  3. Style: image buttons will automatically be added to the style list, making it difficult to manage with the amount of image buttons you mention.
    For Shape buttons you can choose to create an object style, which makes sense for frequently used buttons in projects, since object styles are part of the theme, core of consistent design. For less frequent used buttons, you do not need to create an object style at all. That makes the list much more easy to manage.
  4. Editing:  is a pain in .... for image buttons, if you want to edit the image or replace it. For shape buttons it is a breeze: used images for states are in the Library and you can edit them like you do for any Library asset. Replacing is just pointing to another image, editing can be done in a limited way with Edit Image, or by roundtripping to PS (or AI). Both are impossible for image buttons.

Finally my recommendation:

• Shape uttons for those you want to use over and over again, with creation of an object style saved in the comoany theme.
  • BItmaps or SVG (my preference) for less frequent used buttons, which are project only. Have a look at my recent blog/
    SVG's for Custom Hotspot Question - Captivate blog
    No styles needed here, will not reuse thos SVG' buttons. They have a big advantage over shape buttons and image buttons: you can control the clickable area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri for your detailed response, I hope this helps many other people as well.

You are 100% correct that shape buttons are the best way and I will surely never use Image Buttons again.

Not sure what you're completely disagreeing to as I agreed that your process is the best way, so thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagreed because of this sentence

"... seems to be work around for something that should work better - Image Buttons."

I don't like 'work around' which is to me deprecating the value of the most innovative feature ever introduced in CP, shape buttons. If only it would be possible to have the 'fit to shape' working as it should, this is still the best type of button.

Maybe I should put that comparison which I wrote in a short blog post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, makes sense I guess the reason I initially saw it as a workaround is due to the most obvious and intuitive way to create a button with an image (without captivate training) would be to go Interactions --> Button --> Image button

I agree, shape buttons are amazing but having to read blog posts, go to training courses or attend webinars to find out that they are best method to use an image as a button is still a flaw with the intuitiveness of the application.

As a result of your assistance and this exchange I now follow your blog, which is great, thank you. Hopefully I will avoid more frustration in the future.

I think putting this in a short blog post would be a great idea as I am sure it will help many others

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

May I answer with questions?

What would you think about giving a driver license to someone without any training? Could work if there were never other drivers on the road.  That is why you can start a simple application as Word without any training. But what about allowing someone to fly an airplane without any training? That is what happens when you use Captivate without training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources