Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restricted navigation using advanced actions in Captivate 9

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My customer likes to have restricted navigation on some slides so the learner has to click on all the items on the slide before going to the next page. I'm using the play bar for navigation. Here are the steps I took:

• Added user variables
  • Advanced Action to increment the variable by 1 each time the button is clicked and show the hidden content
  • Conditional action on the slide, On Enter, to show the playbar when all of the button's variable is greater or equal to 1, otherwise hide the play bar. But the conditional action is not working and the play bar remains hidden. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

The On Enter action is only executed when you 're-enter' the slide. I suspect that is not the case here if my intuition is correct. An advanced action has always to be triggered by an 'event'. You could have a look at my post about events (has a descriptive list that you can download for free): Events and (advanced) Actions - Captivate blog

You have to combine both actions in one conditional action with two decisions, to be triggered by the buttons. I have posted that work flow already multiple t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The On Enter action is only executed when you 're-enter' the slide. I suspect that is not the case here if my intuition is correct. An advanced action has always to be triggered by an 'event'. You could have a look at my post about events (has a descriptive list that you can download for free): Events and (advanced) Actions - Captivate blog

You have to combine both actions in one conditional action with two decisions, to be triggered by the buttons. I have posted that work flow already multiple times. The conditional action needs two decisions:

First decision 'Always' is a mimicked standard action:

IF 1 is equal to 1

Increment v_button1 with 1    I prefer identifiying each object, v_ indicates this is a variable

.....            the other commands you want to be done

Second decision 'Check it'

IF v_button1 is equal or greater than 1  AND

v_button2 is equal or greater than 1

Show Playbar

It is not possible to use a shared action in this case. The sequence of those two decisions is very important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG....It's working thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lello Lilybiri,

I've been trying to emulate your approach on this, but the first decision is escaping me.  When I select "increment" I only see system variables.  I tried to find your list of events, but the link no longer works... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should give a little more information...  There are three videos on the slide, and the client wants all three to be clicked before the next slide becomes available.  Instead of using the playbar, I'm using smartshape buttons for navigation.  The forward button is hidden and I was hoping to show it after all three videos have been activated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User variables need to be created using Project, Variables. Only existing user variables will show up in the dropdown list. Only exception are the variables associated with TEBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I'm not sure what TEB is... or how to create user variables.  Can you point me to a tutorial?  

Cheers,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TEB = Text Entry Box

Defining user variables: open Project Variables. Click the button 'Add New'. Type a name for the variable, eventually a start value (not always necessary) and click Save button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources