• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retake Quiz after fail

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interesting issue which I hope someone can help me with.

I have set up a quiz at the end of my training. I am goving the user 3 attempts at the quiz and then if they are still unsuccessful then they are redirected to the start of the Quiz again.

The issue is when I get the the slide before the quiz, the slides just lock and will not advance.

I have tried everything to remedy this, (Javascript to reset the quiz attempts) Has anyone any ideas? I have tried it via my LMS and also just in preview and the same things happen. It this Captivate or me?

Any help / suggestions would be much apprechiated!

Thank you in advance

R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...

I think we will need a little more information in order to help.

I am wondering whether you are able to take the quiz the first time...?

Or does it only lock up after the first attempt?

Also - what does navigation look like? Are you not able to navigate backwards either?

Is there something else pausing the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the first time it works perectly. I have set it to 3 attempts and if I pass any of these it works perfectly. If I fail 3 attempts it goes back to slide one as expected but when I advance through the training again, thee slide I have prior to the quiz nothing happens when I press the next button. The slide before is just one button saying continue. The action behid this button is advance to next slide

I am using Captivate 9 2019 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I misunderstand fully.

Sounds to me that it is working as configured. You are allowing only three attempts.

As such, after three failed attempts - you are not allowed to proceed to the quiz.

Is there something I am missing here? Can you try to explain some more about what you want to have happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I have tried adding a file but it will not upload.

I want the user to have 3 attempts at the quiz, then if they have failed the 3 attempts they have to take the traiing again. At the end of that 2nd round of training they must take the test again. I hope this make sense now. Sorry for been unclear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many attempts do they get after the second round? Three more...? or just 1 final chance?

A thought - which would take some work with the logic - I am wondering if you were to allow four attempts and have a variable track the attempts such that if attempts = 3 go to slide1 to retake training.

Then you would still have access to the fourth attempt. If you want them to have three more - just set total number of attempts to six.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hi it would be a loop 3 attampts, redo training, 3 attempts, redu training, and so on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you might have to leave attempts set to unlimited then.

I would seriously consider using the variables and creating your own logic for making the loop.
I am not sure how else to accomplish that.

You have a couple system variables to help you with this.

cpQuizInfoAttempts

cpQuizInfoPassFail

You would need to perform a check on these variables at the completion of each quiz attempt to determine whether the learner is done or if they need to be redirected to either the first slide or the beginning of the quiz again.

You might consider additional logic along the way to lock or unlock buttons if you really want to enforce retaking the training. Removing the playbar as well to prevent scrubbing and use your own navigation.

This will be an ambitious task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detailed answer, would it not be possible not to just reset the cPquizinfoattempts back to zero? I was thinking after every attempt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is an avenue of approach, I suppose, as long as the variable is not a read only variable.

I would think that you would only want to reset it after the third attempt though, based on your requirement of allowing three more after retraining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible, all Quizzing system variables are read only. Unless it is possible with JS??

See:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/using-quizzing-system-variables

I would choose a different approach if this cannot be solved with a LMS feature.

Set tthe Quiz attempts to infinite. Use the Enter event of the score slide to check both system variables cpQuizInfoAttempts and cpQuizInfoPassFail. Based on that condition navigate the user immediately to the start of the course. Maybe the easiest approach. Since the score slide is visited, the attempts will be in'creased and answers will have been reset. Beware, in the second round you start with cpQuizInfoAttempts==.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a SmartShape with  $$cpQuizInfoAttempts$$  and used the browser console during a preview to try and set the variable to a new value and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have struggled a little following your instructions due to my poor skills in this area.

I have added an advanced action on the results slide which has 3 conditions

This is condition one which is if the number attempts is ❤️

Should sent it back to the start of the quiz (Slide 3)

Cond1.JPG

This condition is if the test is passed it should sent to Slide 8 which is a congrats slide and endcond3.JPG

This is if they fail and have had 3 attempts. 

cond2.JPG

Sadly nothing happens? Not sure where I have gone wrong with this.Many thanks for your earlier answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing that jumps out to me without examining closely is that the cpQuizInfoPassFail is a Boolean variable

It will return true or false

not pass or fail

If true is pass

If false is fail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need some tables about system variable. I gave you a link with such a table. Each Quizzing System variable is explained extensively.  You clearly didn't check that table.

cpQuizInfoPassFail is a Boolean variable. I never use True/False, but 1/0. You second part of the condition needs to be:

If cpQuizInfoPassFail == 0

I would like to seee the full action. Please use the Preview button which is the first button in the top right control panel (looks like an arrow). That way you'll see all decisions at once, including the ELSE part if available.

I thought you wanted JS, that is why I didn't follow this thread anymore.

More about the functionality of Advanced Actions dialog box:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giys thank you! This worked a treat, your time and effort is much apprechiated, plase ingore my niativity! The preview button is something I did not know existed, but does make things a lor easier!

Again thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hope you got the explanatory table with system variables as well. Have published several tables like this one. My career started with research, maybe that is the reason why I like to explore new features. The new Advanced Actions dialog box which was released with CP2017 is a lot more user friendly, but you need to find all the funcitonalities. The Preview buttons exists since CP8 or 7 but it was only available for Conditional actions at that moment. Since one action can now easilly combine standard and conditional actions, it is available for all advanced actions. Another feature which seems to be used too little are the Shared actions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources