• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retake quiz after reviewing it - Captivate 9

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been addressed in the latest release of Captivate 9? Based upon my testing, it appears that it is still not a possibility - to retake a quiz after reviewing the answers. Are there any workarounds?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not possible. Why, as teacher never understood why you should want

that for a regular quiz? You have now knowledge slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are required to create quizes with this functionality as it is mandated by a government regulatory agency that they function in this manner. It can not be that difficult for Adobe to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is to relaunch the lesson.  Then you get another go at the quiz.

Adobe isn't going to change this behavior just for you.  There would need to be thousands of users requesting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relaunching the course doesn't fix the issue! Upon restarting the course, the only option is to review the course. Users have been requesting this fix for several years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you keep Resume Data on, the quiz will be reported as finished. Turn that option off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are referring to this option?

resume_data.JPG

If so, that's not an option as if we have a 60 slide course, we can not have the users starting over at the first slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a Catch-22 to me.

You can't have it both ways, so you may just need to tell your users they MUST complete the module in a single session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also curious as to why a "government regulatory agency" would 'mandate' that users be allowed to fail a test, then immediately REVIEW it to see the correct answers, then immediately REDO the same test to input those correct answers.

That doesn't sound like good practice in "regulating" whether or not people know the content.  That sounds more like deliberately encouraging cheating on tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our training methodology is determined by the Code of Federal Regulations concerning the travel and transport industry and our agreements with various regulatory agencies and their auditors both domestically and in many foreign countries. We CANNOT electively deviate from them. Our approach to training is not invalid simply because it falls outside of your sphere of reference.

At no point do I state that the user must IMMEDIATELY review and then retake the quiz. The issue occurs if the user fails the quiz and then on their own volition reviews their quiz. If they choose NOT to review the quiz and retake it either immediately or at a LATER time, there is no issue. However we MUST plan for all possible scenarios and the possibility of a user failing a quiz, reviewing their answers and then retaking the quiz, whether immediately or a later time, is certainly a valid scenario.

We’d like to create the courses in question in Captivate. If that isn’t possible, we’ll need to recognize that Captivate as a Rapid Application Development tool is limited and move development to one of the many more robust development platforms we have at our disposal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neuroscience and related newer teaching practices have shown re-doing something to be a highly effective way to learn. The quiz then isn't just a measurement of what you know, it's a way to extend what you know.

Many teachers aren't quizzing people just to "measure" them. In many cases, the true goal is that they come to learn or master the material.

It's a try, learn again, try again concept that totally changes the quizzing and testing methods we've been using so long. And if the success of our schools, who still test the old way, is any indication--then that method has failed mightily. So many of our schools are disasters here in the U.S., where I live.

But that's politics, so I'll shut up now! Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion highlights some important issues regarding compliance and regulation. Experience in my own profession shows that you cannot assume that a regulator functions as one might expect.

In the UK the General Dental Council regulates dental professionals.  Its purpose is to protect patients and the public, and one of the ways it does this is by requiring registrants to complete a minimum number of hours of postgraduate education over a five year period.  A legal requirement like this is common to many professions. Failure to comply can result in removal from the register and therefore loss of livelihood.

One of the most popular forms of CPD in dentistry in the UK (and undoubtedly elsewhere) is reading papers in professional journals and then answering some questions. On completion a certificate for verified CPD is issued.  You might therefore think that these questions should be constructed so that they check that the reader has read and comprehended the key content, that a meaningful pass mark would be required to obtain a certificate, and that the time awarded would correlate with the time spent. Not so!

Until very recently one prominent and long established dental journal issued certification for two hours of verified CPD for answering eight questions without a passmark. Thus several hours of CPD can be gained for a minute or two of clicking.  The editor expressed surprise that so many readers (we are talking about a significant proportion of dentists) used the CPD service as their sole form of CPD. Perhaps the ease with which the mandatory CPD requirements could be reached might just explain it, but that eluded him.

The regulator has taken no direct action against such practices. I raised the matter with the regulator some years ago and was told that there was no requirement for summative (quizzing) assessment because a dentist could sit in a lecture, pay no attention, and be given a certificate. So that is the benchmark employed by the regulator and which is supposed to give the public confidence. Online is worse because it is even easier. If a dentist has attended a lecture and fallen asleep at least something might have been learned over the coffee break!

So what has happened? The GDC has issued recommendations for CPD providers to quality assure their offerings and for dental professionals to choose their CPD wisely. The response has been for the journal to introduce a passmark of 50% a year or so ago, but the questions remain easy and bear no resemblance to the hours awarded. The practice is not limited to one journal but is widespread. The GDC has taken no direct action. It is piloting a new scheme that introduces improvements but the key issues remain.

Sadly this undermines the credibility of the profession and its regulator.  I wonder how many members of this forum would rest assured that their dentist was keeping up to date if this was the only form of CPD undertaken.

It is also highly relevant to elearning developers involved in the design and delivery of CPD. Online CPD is gaining in popularity for many reasons. As a developer and designer I would hope that the effectiveness of the medium in helping improve professional practice is the main one, but I suspect that the real drivers are convenience and cost.

Fortunately for those who take the matter seriously Captivate 9 and a decent LMS do allow the design and delivery of CPD that is both educationally sound and offers a robust verification mechanism.  It is a shame that at least some regulators are not aware of what is possible, or perhaps it is simply because they do not want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The remediation slides can certainly reteach the concept, in a slightly altered way. That would be a good reason to retake it.

There ARE knowledge slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option is to duplicate the quiz, change the order of the slides, and make slight changes to the text. I'm not sure if Adobe lets you have it be identical...??

Have that in the path for those who don't pass, and they in essence DO retake it. I do a reteaching slide, then the quiz question, and so on...The problem is that it makes your scoring more difficult to handle.

For me, though, the learning's the thing, and scores aren't that essential in the overall picture. If I can see they

ultimately passed, then I'm fine.

You, on the other hand, probably have tons of need for the scoring to be meaningful...and I don't know how you'd solve that.

Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line here is that Captivate DOES allow learners to RETAKE a quiz to reattempt it.  And they can do so immediately, for as many times as the instructional designer has decreed should be possible before the quiz says "That's enough."  Captivate also allows learners to REVIEW their quiz to see where they succeeded or failed in their answers.

So if your regulatory organizations have required that the e-learning allow quizzes to be RETAKEN or REVIEWED, then Captivate would be totally compliant.

The sticking point here is that Captivate terminate all further allowed quiz attempts for that session if the learner opts to REVIEW.  And the design reasoning here is that it would allow cheating.  Now as an Instructional Designer myself, I also find some limitations Captivate imposes to be annoying.  But in this case, I tend to agree with the Software Architect (whoever he/she is). I think allowing this would encourage cheating, and I see a lot of adult learners VERY apt to do that.

I do not honestly believe any "Code of Federal Regulations" would be worded in such a way that it encourages or requires instructional designers to build quizzing so that it could easily be cheated.  I've worked for plenty of organizations and all of them are usually focused on getting VALID results from testing that gives a TRUE indication of whether or not the person indeed learned the material, not how cleverly they could circumvent the quizzing.

However, if you can show me (perhaps copy / paste here) the wording from any international regulations that do specify the quizzing should work the way you claim (allow the learner to REVIEW their quiz failed answers and then IMMEDIATELY retake the quiz to input those corrections) then I will acquiesce and admit that such organizations exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am reading your answer here to say that it is possible to have both retake button and review buttons in the same quiz.  when you say "The sticking point here is that Captivate terminate all further allowed quiz attempts for that session if the learner opts to REVIEW" What do you mean by for that session? I have tried logging out of the LMS and logging back in to no avail.

I know that this thread is very old.

I would simply like to know if I have to dispense with the review process.

Also it doesn't seem to be possible to retake a quiz if you have passed the quiz.

Thanks for your time

Walter Lees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Walt.  You are correct that the way Captivate works is that if you have passed a quiz, then you cannot retake the quiz during that user session.  It is only possible to Retake (i.e. Reattempt) the quiz by clicking the Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results slide if you have not as yet successfully passed the quiz.  If you achieve a passing score by the time you reach the Quiz Results slide then Captivate will not show the Retake button.  It will also not show the Retake Quiz button if you have exhausted your allowed number of attempts.

The Review Quiz button can also be selected (in Quiz > Settings) to appear on the Quiz Results slide.  However, if the user clicks that button to invoke the review, then that terminates all allowed further attempts during that user session.  If the learner wanted to make another attempt on the quiz, he or she would need to relaunch the module again.

In the SCORM world a "user session" starts when the user launches the SCO module from the LMS and attempts to complete it. If their attempt is unsuccessful, but Resume Data bookmarking is turned on in the SCO module, then the LMS records the details of their session and they can relaunch the same module at a later date to RESUME the session.  However, once the learner has either successfully passed the quiz, or run out of allowed attempts, then the LMS will consider the user's session to be terminated and the user cannot resume it.

Does that make things clearer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your question was not addressed to me, sorry for popping in.

If the quiz is not too long or if you are proficient with JS, you could try to create a 'custom review' in which you do not show the correct answer to be given. A small example is explained in this blog post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's good to know, Rod. It means I've once again been doing something wrong! I've had a lot of problem with retakes, even though I have it set to 3.

I'll keep learning, and try to see where I go wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also generally limit the number of quiz attempts to three, while also giving only single attempts on each quiz question. 

I've found that if the learner hasn't 'got it' after the third try then they usually need to go back and look at the content again to understand it better.  But if you keep the lessons short enough and your instructional design is sound, then three attempts should be more than enough.

Lots of people that are failing do so because they're rushing through and not reading the questions or answer options carefully.  And if those types of users even get a whiff of the fact that they could just Review the quiz and then plug in the correct answers, they'll do it.  You WANT them to slow down and do the material at a pace they can properly absorb. 

So just like there are speed humps in roads around your suburb to prevent hooligans from speeding, quizzes also need to be structured in such a way that learners have freedom to go at their own learning speed, but not take inadvisable shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Good summary of the situation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My organization provides content with the intent of users learning the content, not on testing them.  However, we like to use a "Knowledge Check" to reinforce the information.  We would also like the functionality to retake a quiz after reviewing the answers.  Any reinforcement is a highly effective way to learn, and most people not only learn a great deal from their mistakes, they are more likely to remember what has been learned in a mistake scenario.

Understanding that this is not the goal for everyone, and that some do want to "test" for results, both options should be available in Captivate based on differing goals and theories.  Currently, it is a limitation of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 9 has Knowledge Check slides as well as normal Quiz slides. Maybe you'll need to use those KC slides? Here are some tips about them:

Knowledge Check Slides - tips - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources