• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retrieve answers from another slide

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this even makes sense but here goes.

Set up:

• Slide 1 has 2 questions
  • Each question has 3 buttons
  • Each button has a corresponding value

Is there a way to retrieve the answers selected from the first slide and display it on a later slide, eg slide 2?

I was thinking of assigning a variable per button using advanced actions, but I'm stuck thinking of a way to retrieve those answers on the next slide. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the answer as a value in a variable, it is very easy to display that value anywhere. Just insert it in a text container, using the X button in the Character part of the tet container. More details in this blog:

Discover/Use Captivate's System variables - Part 1 - Captivate blog

Beware: length of the variable is limited to about 150. You'll read in the blog how you can display more than 50 characrers, which is the default length, when inserting the variable.

If you could insert a screenshot of what you have at this moment, which actions are triggered by the buttons and exactly what the answers would be to appear on other slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Congo

Slide1 -- Create the question eg:

New York City is located in the

USA (create a text_caption, create a variable  v_usa, value equal to USA, attach the v_usa variable to the text by using the 

Insert variable )

Next to USA  create a smart_shape, use as Button,

create a variable name v_usaBut, value equal to zero.

under Actions On Success: Execute Advanced Actions

Script: give the script a name, First Actions -  Increment v_usaBut by 1  , Second Actions - Go to next Slide

Canada (see above)

see image:

Screenshot_2.png

Slide2 -- (create a text_caption, attach the v_usa variable)

If you are using image, the same image must be slide1 and slide2 but using different name.

Additional info will be provide later if needed.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lilybiri​ and @LuisXIV. I sort of combined your input.

A follow-up question though: what's the difference between creating a variable and assigning it a value of "0", versus leaving that field blank?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a bit complicated, because variables in Captivate can have any value, there is no way to define a variatble to be of a numberic type or a string type. If you give it a value 0 it will be considered numeric, but it could also be a Boolean, where 0 or False have exactly the same signification.

It depends on what you want to do with the variable.... Theoretically for CP 0, empty or text is always zero....

When it is a variable that will be a Boolean, I like to use 0 or 1.

When it is a variable that will be incremented, I like to give it a value 0

When it is a variable that will get a text (string) I leave it mostly empty

To illustrate why this is so complicated, have a look at one of my blog posts:

Where is Null in CP2017? - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources