Highlighted

Rollovers and Flash

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone can explain this a bit more to me.

We use both Captivate and Storyline (different departments use different programs). Those of us that use Capitvate are being told we have to go in and remove rollovers from old courses and not include them in courses going forward. We were told that it is because rollovers are not supported in Flash and Flash is going away. That rollovers are not HTML5 compliant.

However, the Storyline users can still use rollovers. Their courses will work in HTML5.

Then someone else said it has nothing to do with Flash, that is was because rollovers can't be used on mobile.

I'd love some more clarification on the use of rollovers in Captivate.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rollovers and Flash

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone can explain this a bit more to me.

We use both Captivate and Storyline (different departments use different programs). Those of us that use Capitvate are being told we have to go in and remove rollovers from old courses and not include them in courses going forward. We were told that it is because rollovers are not supported in Flash and Flash is going away. That rollovers are not HTML5 compliant.

However, the Storyline users can still use rollovers. Their courses will work in HTML5.

Then someone else said it has nothing to do with Flash, that is was because rollovers can't be used on mobile.

I'd love some more clarification on the use of rollovers in Captivate.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would concur with the HTML5 and mobile experience.

I have created many items with rollovers that work just fine on desktop and laptop computers when published to HTML5.

However, when I tested the projects on my iPad - rolling over - (more like touch off and then swipe on) really was not user friendly.

Sometimes the behavior would render as designed and other times it would actually behave as a button and take me to the next slide which wasn't even programmed into it. It was very odd.

To improve that experience for mobile users - I did change the way I design things.

I have never used the Articulate/Storyline products but I would suspect a similar result on mobile when simply delivered through a web browser. I believe they do have an app to specifically play their content which may deal with that issue but I cannot confirm that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's more of a mobile experience issue and not a flash compatibility issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct -

To my knowledge, rollovers and flash have always been compatible.

Flash, on the other hand, has not been supported on Apple iPads or iPhones (large mobile user base) - and browsers are dropping support for Flash players so it has been a sort of natural progression away from publishing to SWF files for delivery on the web.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rollovers will work also in HTML5 output when the course is accessed from a mouse or trackpad system.  However Rollover slidelets in Captivate should not work, whereas Rollover Captions and Rollover Images do. If you are creating a Responsive project with Fluid Boxes you will not be able to insert any rollover object. I created a blog explaining some workarounds to enable them anyway for non-mobile systems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good point, since the responsive course is really more of a mobile thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wished they were only used for mobile development. Many newbies think that every project needs to be made with Fluid Boxes.

Here is the link to my workarounds:

Rollover in Fluid Boxes? - Captivate blog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. So when management is telling us not to use rollovers because they won't work when Flash goes away that is inaccurate. What they should be saying is that rollovers cannot be used on mobile devices.

Seems so silly because we can't even access our courses on mobile due to security issues!

But they keep sending out memos saying that Flash is nearing the end, and because of that to cease using rollovers.

I just wanted accurate information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to STOP believing 'management' actually understand any of the technical aspects they put in those missives.  They either got this from someone in the IT department (who also does not build e-learning courses for a living) or else they read somewhere on the internet in a blog that was also written by someone that doesn't know anything about how to build e-learning.

If you want to know how management works, read Dilbert.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only management believes a lot of fake news.

Yesterday had a long discussion with an long-time Captivate user who is convinced that you cannot use Multistate objects on mobile devices, nor Effects. Moreover he is never creating a responsive project, only rescalable projects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly why I wanted to seek clarification on my own, lol.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group