Highlighted

Saving status/state in branching scenarios possible?

Participant ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have an upcoming project where the one lesson has a million branches. They want status to be saved on each of the branches. They can jump around all over so there is no linear flow through it at all. They will be hosting as SCORM 1.2 in CornerStone.

So the regular bookmarking won't be good enough because they want the user to be able to see how much of each section they have completed. Now I can do that DURING a session by keeping variables and using states to show little progress bars. But when the user exits the lesson, those variables of course, are all gone.

I now Rod Ward had a cpExtra utility that could save variables, but the user has to log in from the SAME computer.

What I need is a way to save a whole bunch of variables as to the progress in each section and be able to retrieve them from the LMS to load up when the user launches the lesson a 2nd, 3rd, etc time.

Am I making sense here?

Is there ANY way to do this???

Big client and great job opportunity, but I don't want to tell them it can be done if there is no way.

Thanks everyone!!

Lori

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Saving status/state in branching scenarios possible?

Participant ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have an upcoming project where the one lesson has a million branches. They want status to be saved on each of the branches. They can jump around all over so there is no linear flow through it at all. They will be hosting as SCORM 1.2 in CornerStone.

So the regular bookmarking won't be good enough because they want the user to be able to see how much of each section they have completed. Now I can do that DURING a session by keeping variables and using states to show little progress bars. But when the user exits the lesson, those variables of course, are all gone.

I now Rod Ward had a cpExtra utility that could save variables, but the user has to log in from the SAME computer.

What I need is a way to save a whole bunch of variables as to the progress in each section and be able to retrieve them from the LMS to load up when the user launches the lesson a 2nd, 3rd, etc time.

Am I making sense here?

Is there ANY way to do this???

Big client and great job opportunity, but I don't want to tell them it can be done if there is no way.

Thanks everyone!!

Lori

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could save them to local storage for that user, and recall them that way.

Brian

Moderator: please do not post personal credentials!ç

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the same solution as with the CpExtra widget whch has been rejected: local storage is not an answer.

It is indeed something that should be solved with the LMS, externally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to get use an LRS and save as an XAPI statement that could be recalled from LRS.

Brian

Moderator: ditto

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you elaborate on this. I've not done LRS or XAPI.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, xapi is a more robust way of reporting than Scorm. An LRS (learning record store) is how and where you store xAPI statements. They typically consist of 3 parts. An actor a verb and an activity. For instance Brian finished section 1.

The nice thing about an LRS is it can work in conjunction with an LMS, but unlike most LMS you can easily pull data back out.

Scorm Cloud is a good place to start for a free LRS. You do have to do a bit of JavaScript to hook it all up, but it’s fairly painless.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company uses CornerStone OnDemand LMS as well, and with us variable values are persisted accross sessions all right. You're sure it's not working for you? Of course, they must not have a default value.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 1
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.

They must NOT have a default value? Never thought of that, but it makes some sense now that you say it.

How are the variables persisted? Are you actively doing something to store your user variables? Or are they getting stored automatically for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they're stored with the resume data. No specific action required to turn this on, other than making sure LMS Bookmarking is active ('Never Send Resume Data' unticked). But that's the default setting anyway, I think.
No Default Values on the tracking variables, as otherwise those would overwrite the values stored by the LMS on course relaunch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let me just clarify. You created your OWN user variables. Did NOTHING to store them in the LMS.

When you returned to a lesson, the user variables had the values that they had when the lesson was closed previously?

We need to do micro tracking - not just regular bookmarking, It would have to be done with user variables.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly. Just try on a little sample project.

As far as I know, one might run into problems with SCORM 1.2 if there is a very large number of varaibles to persist, as there's only so many kbs reserved for the resume data, but I never experienced that problem myself. Anyway, SCORM 2004 allows for more data to be strored there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
dan561 LATEST
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making courses with lots of branching through submenus - lets the user do what he/she wants. I keep track of all pages visited and page activities completed through user vars (lots of them!). I don't use progress bars, but do have states for "in progress" and "complete" for each possible menu option through the course, based on the pages visited. SCORM 2004 does a great job of keeping track of all this. Check your LMS to see if it can do SCORM 2004 and which version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2018 0