• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SCORM Completion and Quiz Prefs

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty straightforward need to send a custom score to the LMS in my own variable.

I can do this but it is overwritten by Captivate's built-in function. I know there are assorted hacks of the scormdriver code, etc., but this shouldn't be that difficult.

Here's one issue I don't understand:

I have two MC quiz questions. I have them marked to not report score. I assigned 50 points to each question.

In quiz prefs, I have completion based upon 100% slides viewed.

Quiz Pass or Fail is set up with a passing score. To me, this should be irrelevant.

When exiting the course, it is marked complete based upon the quiz score OR all slides viewed, despite my having turned off question score reporting.

This I do not understand. To my way of thinking, if reporting is turned off at the question level, score should not be sent to LMS, and if all slides are not viewed, status should be incomplete.

I want to suppress reporting of system quiz score variable. I'm working on custom made interactions but that sorta defeats the purpose of the quiz management functions.

I'm sure I'm missing some detail of the Black Art of quizzes in Captivate. I've been on a long hiatus from Captivate and I was hoping by now this stuff would be a little easier to get a handle on.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly create Custom User Variables in Captivate and manipulate their values via Advanced Actions.  But the Quizzing variables in Captivate are System Variables and are READ ONLY.  So you cannot over-write or over-ride them via Advanced Actions.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that not all LMSs will store your custom user variables.  Most LMSs are only going to be interested in listening for SCORM variable values.  The LMS knows what to do with SCORM variables.  But just because you have created other variables to track user interaction on your course doesn't mean you can also plug that data into your LMS and then get reporting about it.  Most LMSs will simply NOT have that capability.  Have you verified that your particular LMS can do this?

The issue with quiz questions still affecting the quiz to some extend even when marked as Not Reporting was more or less addressed some versions ago when Adobe added Knowledge Check question slides to Captivate.  If you just want the user to answer a question that will then give them a Success or Fail response and can be used to trigger Advanced Actions, but should NOT have anything to do with the quiz, then KC questions are probably what you should be using.

How completion status is determined on your module depends on how the SCORM reporting is set up.  Without more information about your setup, I cannot help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod.

I am reporting using a standard a SCORM call. It's a simple line of code:

lmsAPI.SCORM2004_SetScore(score, 100, 0);

This works fine, other than the fact that Captivate uses a system variable such as cpQuizInfoTotalQuizPoints AFTER my code when the SCORM session terminates or whenever (not exactly sure when). IMHO, there should be an easy way to turn off that final automated function and give the user the opportunity to use their own code. Just for the record, this is  easy to do in Storyline.

Maybe I'll try using knowledge checks next time. If it's just that simple, that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will leave you in Rod's care but you seem to be not very well aware of the meaning of quizzing system variables. Maybe the tabel in this blog post could help you:

Using Quizzing System Variables - Captivate blog

Uless you use Branch aware, cpQuizInfoTotalQuizPoints is the masimum possible score, not the score obtained by the learner, which is cpQuizInfoPointsscored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had the wrong variable name, understood.

The fact still remains; it's more difficult than it should be IMHO to report a score using a custom variable.

Maybe knowledge checks are the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why do you think KC slides would be the solution? They do not get any score in the default setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources