Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scrolling Text Widget

Contributor ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivaters !... 😉

This morning, as I wanted to work on calculations with decimal numbers, I checked what I have done with plain numbers... And what a surprise when I realized that there was some problems !!!...

This occurs when I used the "Scrolling Text Widget".

(I had to use it as I wanted my text with a right alignment)

And it appears that this Widget doesn't play the same in different browsers.

# Here is the first published project : http://soutien67.fr/math/activites/calcul/multiplication/Multiplication-en-colonnes-03/index.html

With Firefox, everything looks fine :

M1_Firefox.png

But with Chrome (or Edge), an uggly border appears around the widget...

M1_Chrome.png

# Here is a second published project : http://soutien67.fr/math/activites/calcul/multiplication/Multiplication-en-colonnes-05/index.html

With Firefox, once again, everything looks ok :

M2_Firefox.png

But with Chrome or Edge, scrolling butons appear !... (which are not attended !...)

M2_Chrome.png

(I manage to delete this scrolling buttons by increasing slightly the height of the Widget... But...)

=> I understand that this has something to do with the browsers and not with Captivate... And I remember when I published these projects everything was fine in all browsers...

=> I'm finally wondering if the CPExtraWidget could be a solution for this... Does it permit a right alignment in a simple TEB ?... (I just checked on the new infosemantics site but didn't find an answer...)

=> Or is there another simple solution ?

PS : I strongly hope that in the next version of Captivate (?), we will have the opportunity to change the alignment in a TEB !!!...

Thanks for your attention !...

Happy Captivating !...

😉

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

You can right align a TEB with this Javascript

setTimeout(function(){document.getElementById("Text_Entry_Box_1_inputField").style.textAlign="right";}, 0500);

The bold text is the name of the TEB. You have to execute this for each TEB.

Or you can set all TEBs with this Javascript

setTimeout(function(){ $("input").css("text-align", "right"); }, 0500);

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font did you use? 

Is this option 'Hide selection ...' activated:

HTMLSelectionRect.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lieve !...

I use Arial (Which I think is safe ???...)

M1.png

I also just checked these projects on a tablet... and the place is not long enough to enter all the numbers, as on a computer ... GRRRRR !!!... This Widget seems very problematic ?...

Thanks for your answer!...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need time to double-check. This is one of my favourite widgets and never had that type of issues. That it looks different in each browser is because there is no real HTML5 standard compared with the good old SWF period. You may find that another websafe font is less sensitive. 

I may be back later on. Did you check the setting I showed after editing my reply? That is for the rectangle showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arial seems to be ok !!...

https://websitesetup.org/web-safe-fonts-html-css/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the selected options are ok !...

M2.png

Like you, I missed Flash so much !!!...

Thanks again !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, there is no CpExtra related feature for making a text entry box align to the right. Though I can see how that would be useful in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tristan, was bit stupefied by your comment, thought I wrongly mentioned THE widget. I didn't reference to CpExtra widget in this thread, just double-checked. Nor did Ludovic. 

The widget allows fixing several problems with TEBs, not the alignment indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Lieve !...

In fact, I did mention it in my first post :

"=> I'm finally wondering if the CPExtraWidget could be a solution for this... Does it permit a right alignment in a simple TEB ?... (I just checked on the new infosemantics site but didn't find an answer...)"

Happy Captivating !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, missed that part. Sorry both to Tristan and to you.

CpExtra widget fixes many issues with TEBs but doesn't offer alignment options. Tristan mentioned it in his comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can right align a TEB with this Javascript

setTimeout(function(){document.getElementById("Text_Entry_Box_1_inputField").style.textAlign="right";}, 0500);

The bold text is the name of the TEB. You have to execute this for each TEB.

Or you can set all TEBs with this Javascript

setTimeout(function(){ $("input").css("text-align", "right"); }, 0500);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I thank you ???!...

I've just tested your code in a new project... Seems to be exactly what I expected !!!...

If I had knew this one year ago, this could have saved me a lot of time (and troubles !)...

You make me smile for the day !... (even if now, I'll have to change all the projects in which I used this "Scrolling Text Widget")

BIG thank you again !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it can't be done natively in Captivate, you can do most anything with JavaScript.

Glad to help and glad that it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of standard Javascript/JQuery hooks that, combined with a solid naming convention, will automatically style objects based on their names. 
But not everyone likes using Javascript!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do, however like the little timeout kludge which forces the styling to wait before it tries to style.

Do you think that binding the styling to an enterFrame event would be tighter and less network-dependant?

Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources