Highlighted

Send Data on Every Slide

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  We are expereincing a combination of events which result in our users not having their progress or completion recorded in the LMS.

We are expereincing a lot of users who are timing out of their session. They get to a point in the lesson and the lesson will not continue. I can see users getting 404 or 403 errors when this happens. This seems to be an IT or LMS vendor issue, but it is exposing another problem.

We have a lot of users who are timing out and after the re-authenticate and launch the lesson again, they are having to start the lesson back at slide one. This is confusing me, because I have the "Send Data on Every Slide" option turned on in my publish settings.

Does anyone know exaclty what data is being sent on every slide? Are user variables being sent? I update a "visited" variable on every slide visit, but either it is not being sent to the LMS on every slide, or the send data on every slide is not working.

My lessons based on this template have been working flawlessly for the last couple of years, but with this timeout issue, we are finding a new flaw.

Captivate version: 11.5.1.499

LMS: SuccessFactors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Send Data on Every Slide

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  We are expereincing a combination of events which result in our users not having their progress or completion recorded in the LMS.

We are expereincing a lot of users who are timing out of their session. They get to a point in the lesson and the lesson will not continue. I can see users getting 404 or 403 errors when this happens. This seems to be an IT or LMS vendor issue, but it is exposing another problem.

We have a lot of users who are timing out and after the re-authenticate and launch the lesson again, they are having to start the lesson back at slide one. This is confusing me, because I have the "Send Data on Every Slide" option turned on in my publish settings.

Does anyone know exaclty what data is being sent on every slide? Are user variables being sent? I update a "visited" variable on every slide visit, but either it is not being sent to the LMS on every slide, or the send data on every slide is not working.

My lessons based on this template have been working flawlessly for the last couple of years, but with this timeout issue, we are finding a new flaw.

Captivate version: 11.5.1.499

LMS: SuccessFactors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In college it happened that the swtiches were overloaded when too many students wrere doing the same quiz at the same time. Solution could be to replace the Scorm template by the one which sends data only at the end. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the lessons have been working perfectly before then something else has changed.  I agree with Lieve that you may be looking at a server latency issue.
https://infosemantics.com.au/about-learning-management-system-server-latency/

If the server is bogged down with too many users throwing data at it to record then it starts taking longer and longer to respond until it then starts hitting time-out errors or else crashes.  

Your IT department or LMS server administrator should be able to look at their logs or watch the server Task Manager to see whether this is the issue.  If that turns out to be the case, you either need to upgrade the server to something more robust that can handle the load or you need to start turning off reporting options in the SCORM settings of the learning module so that it reduces the load.  However, that will also have other side effects (e.g. less bookmarking).

Here are the options available for reducing the load:

https://infosemantics.com.au/how-to-reduce-load-on-learning-management-systems/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron and Lilybiri,

Thanks for the replies. I am working with IT to track down the issue.

I still want to know what data Captivate is sending to the LMS when you select "Send Data on Every Slide".

Is it sending user vars along with the default Captivate vars? 

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that since the session timed out, Captivate can no longer communicate with the LMS and it cannot exit the session properly. If a course exits in the middle of a session it needs to set the exit to suspend so it will save the progress, them terminate the session, this is not happening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the issue.

Captivate DOES send cmi.suspend_data on every slide.

Captivate does NOT send LMSCommit() on every slide.

The LMS we are using, SuccessFactors, needs to have the commit called to store the data.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
loehes LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not familiar with all this technical stuff, but I seem to have the same problem.
We are also using SuccessFactors and I have a certain percentage of users where the lessons are not reported completed (though they are).
Without being IT or able to write code or influence SuccessFactors:
Do I have the chance to eliminate that problem with simply changing settings in Captivate?
IT told me to set a different commit, but I have no clue what to do.
I appreciate every bit of help you can offer!
Thanks,
Sandra

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group