• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Settings

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my adobe captivate 2019 course is set up with 5 attempts but when there is a fail answering quiz questions the course does not move to completion in order to retake the entire course. What settings are needed to make this work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the option in Quiz settings to Show Retake Button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod - The quiz is throughout the presentation so that option doesn't work so good.  It brings it to the first quiz question instead of restarting the course from the beginning as a re-take.  Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we may be misunderstanding each other.

Captivate has the capability to set the number of attempts at two levels.  One level is at the question slide level.  The second is at the overall Quiz level.  Your LMS then also has another level of attempts that controls how many times the module can be launched from the LMS without achieving success.

So that we are both on the same page, when you say you "have 5 attempts allowed", which level are you talking about?

And under what specific circumstances were you wanting the module to begin again from the starting slide:

• When a quiz question is failed?
  • When the overall quiz is failed and you need to Retake Quiz again from the Quiz Results slide?
  • When the entire module is failed and needs to be relaunched from the LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LMS level for when the entire module is failed and needs to be relaunched from the beginning of the module - a complete do over - like starting from scratch as if the module was never taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So you're saying that the LMS would allow the user to launch the same module and unsuccessfully reattempt it up to five times, but then not allow the learner to try again for a sixth time, correct?

If your modules are not resuming from the very first slide each time they are launched from the LMS then that means there is some kind of bookmarking behaviour going on.

Check in the Project > Skin Editor > Playbar settings to see if Self-paced Learning is checked.  If so, deselect that option.  It should never be used with a SCORM LMS anyway.

Check in Quiz Settings > Quiz Reporting > Advanced to see if Never Send Resume Data is checked.  The default setting is for it NOT to be checked so that Resume Data Bookmarking would work.  If you've decided that you DO NOT want any resume data stored in the LMS, then check that box.  This should then mean that every relaunch of the Captivate module would start right from the firs slide every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's complicated lol.  unsuccessfully reattempting 5 times and not a sixth is true - this is what I want.  But.... the course does need to bookmark in case a learner stops in the middle of the module and exists the program.  In the skin editor - I don't even see that option...self-paced learning.  For the Never Send Resume Data - it is not checked - if I check that box, then the course won't bookmark if a learner stops in the middle of the module ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  My Bad.  Self-paced Learning is under TOC settings in the Skin Editor.

If you set Never Send Resume Data to ON then that means no LMS-driven bookmarking, yes.

The thing you need to remember is that the LMS should only be counting an attempt as completed if the learner got all the way through the quiz to the Quiz Results slide and then did NOT retake the quiz while still in that Captivate user session.  If you have LMS Resume Data bookmarking turned on and the user bails out in the middle of a quiz session, then the LMS would think the learner is still in the same attempt when they launch the module again.  However, if the learner gets to that Quiz Results slide and clicks the option to Continue beyond the slide, then they are pretty much saying they regard that attempt as terminated, regardless of whether they passed or failed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Rod,

Self-paced is not checked.  So what is the final setting on the last slide (quiz results) to "complete" the course to make it move to completion whether it be to issue a certificate or to reset the course in order to take it all over again.  In the LMS I am trying out (LearnUpon) I'm not able to get the course to move to completion on a fail - passing is working ok and issues the certificate.   LearnUpon has this notice about using the X in the upper right corner to close out of the program in order to make sure the program exits properly (for bookmarking purposes I believe) but it doesn't account for the fail attempt and does not reset the course.  They tell me it is how the course is set up in adobe captivate.  I have tried so many different settings and nothing seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may need to speak to the technical people at your LMS because that's where this 'problem' is most likely to be.

The issue (in your case) is that your LMS may be one of those out there that will ONLY mark a course module as completed when it has been successfully passed, and will steadfastly refuse to do anything other than leave the module in an uncompleted state until that happens.  I have struck several of these types of LMS in my career and the only way to 'resolve' the issue is to make it impossible for the learner to go beyond the Quiz Results slide (and thereby submit results to the LMS) unless they have passed the quiz and achieved Success.

The LMS people will ALWAYS blame the authoring tool. You can bank on that. But Captivate's SCORM output is pretty much perfect from a SCORM Standard perspective.  Adobe's SCORM drivers were written by Rustici Software who also make SCORM Cloud, the 'gold standard' for SCORM compliance.  Their people are the acknowledged world experts on SCORM. I always tell people having these sorts of issues to test their SCORMs on SCORM Cloud to see if the same issue occurs there.  If it does, THEN by all means blame the module.  But if it doesn't, just blame your LMS because 99 times out of a hundred that's where the problem will be.

Unfortunately, each LMS vendor is free to interpret the SCORM standard in any way they see fit.   And some of these LMS manufacturers choose to interpret SCORM to the effect that only a successfully passed module should be marked as completed.

When I encounter these types of LMS, I set the number of Allowed Attempts on the Quiz to Infinite (in Quiz Settings > Pass or Fail) and turn on the Retake Quiz button.  Then I place that Retake Quiz button smack on top of the Continue button on the Quiz Results slide so that the Retake button completely covers the Continue button. I also make sure there are no navigation options (e.g. Playbar or Next buttons or TOC buttons) that make it possible for the learner to progress the timeline beyond the Quiz Results slide. This means that the ONLY way the learner can submit their score to the LMS is if it is a SUCCESS score, not a FAILURE.

If your LMS won't accept Failure for completion, that's what you have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one more thing...you'll also need to turn off bookmarking because otherwise a user resuming the module will be taken straight to the Quiz Results slide, whereas you want them to start again from the very first slide.

One thing I haven't asked is which version of SCORM you are publishing to.  I would assume an LMS as basic as yours will probably want you to use SCORM 1.2.  But this version of SCORM only has one variable that tracks both pass/fail as well as completion.  SCORM 2004 is much more flexible because it has two separate variables to track user interaction.  So, with SCORM 2004 you can have a course that is completed but failed, as well as one that wasn't completed but still achieved a successful pass.

Are you able to use SCORM 2004?

Have you tested your current modules on SCORM Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all of this information Rod.  I am using Adobe Captivate 2019.  I'm trying out a new platform that does require me to use scorm 1.2.  So basically, in a nut shell, I am not going to be able to do what I need to do with my courses publishing in scorm 1.2 format...from the sounds of it.  Our current LMS does use 2004 but we were and still are having so many issues with that platform as well....failures not moving to completion.  It seems the problems are never ending with these LMS's.  Sigh...

I truly appreciate all the knowledge you have shared with me and trying to get the issue corrected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources