Highlighted

Shared Action

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out why my Continue action did not carry over when creating a shared action... Do I tally this up there with the reasons I don't like shared actions?

• Can't edit them
  • Can't delete them
  • New   Can't run a continue action in a shared actionconvert to shared.png
Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Not at all, they just will always remain the same for each instance of the shared action. It is not necessary for a command to have a parameter. In my last blog post with Shared Actions tips I offered an example of a shared action which had no parameters at all. That just means if will act exactly like the advanced action but has the advantage of being visible in the Library, and very easily to be transferred to other projects which is not the case with advanced actions. Have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/rare-tips-for-shared-actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shared Action

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out why my Continue action did not carry over when creating a shared action... Do I tally this up there with the reasons I don't like shared actions?

• Can't edit them
  • Can't delete them
  • New   Can't run a continue action in a shared actionconvert to shared.png
Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Not at all, they just will always remain the same for each instance of the shared action. It is not necessary for a command to have a parameter. In my last blog post with Shared Actions tips I offered an example of a shared action which had no parameters at all. That just means if will act exactly like the advanced action but has the advantage of being visible in the Library, and very easily to be transferred to other projects which is not the case with advanced actions. Have a look at:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love shared actions for many reasons.  Why do you think that Continue command is not working? How did you test.

Which items are parameters?

While you cannot edit a shared action, I explained how to do it using it as a template several times. Not that much harder than editing an advanced action. It is VERY easy to delete a shared action, if it is no longer used, just delete it in the LIbrary.  You can even create a new shared action using exactly the same name, which is not possible for any advanced action.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read one of your blogs about shared actions and agree with the benifits, but I must have missed the fact that there is actually a folder storing those shared actions.  Dumb mistake on my part.

You are one of the main reasons I am trying to learn and work with them in the first place.  So, thank you for being the one to comment on this discussion to help me out.  I kind of realized you might be the one to respond simply based on the temperment I took in opposing shared actions, some of that was out of frustration, but mostly it was a cry for help to you.  I just assumed that the shared actions were as frustrating to remove as customer animations.  I made that assumption because I couldn't find a way to remove them.  You have answered my question.  Now, it would make since to use shared actions (with an advanced action as my template) seeing that I don't need to keep coming up with new names for the action because I Can Delete shared actions and make a new one from the template.  Thank you Liv.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, my issue now is that when I create a shared action from my template the "Continue" did not carry over.  It is a simple continue of the timeline not one that has any parameters. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continue is the most simple command, it cannot have any parameters. As I explained in my webinar and in several blog posts (thanks for reading them), compulsory parameters are slides objects, groups, audio clips, states, all static objects. The candidate parameters are variables and literals as used in conditional actions. Simple commands like Continue, Pause, Go to Nest Slide, Go to Previous Slide never have a parameter.  But Jump to slide will have a parameter (compulsory), which is the slide number or name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that explanation.  So to be clear Simple commands are not supported within Shared actions like they are with advanced actions.  Is that correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not read this post.  Thank you for sending me the link and helping my understanding of Shared Actions... I am now a believer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0